Oqsy's 55 gallon journal...*Updated 06/22/07* - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 07:35 PM
eds
Wannabe Guru

Looking good!
With the dark substrate and background, the plants shine like jewels!
I also like the sense of left to right flow, from the combined shape of the plants and the wood.

55gal - Coralife 4x65w cf, xp3, flourite, Hydor ETH300w, pressurized CO2 w/ rex(TM) reactor!

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good Oqsy. That e. tenellus in particular looks really happy. Must be doing something right!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
thanks steve. i was just heading to your kahuna thread to see if you've posted any pics recently. I must say that your sunfish are gorgeous.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 PM
LOTR BFME

Send a message via AIM to sarahbobarah
WOW! Where the heck is your filter outlet???

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"The world's sexiest ichthyologist." - Eheim Madame *172*

Best Dressed Member of SVAS, SFBAAPS. (I sit at the cool kids' table)
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
black pvc spraybar in the top left corner suction-cupped to the left side of the tank just below the water surface... in that pic you *might* be able to make out the cork that plugs the end pressing against the top left corner of the front glass.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to esarkipato
Lookin really good! Isn't it great how some low foreground plants can really tie a tank together! Keep it up, oqsy

-Ernie

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

progress! ludwigias are reddening up, new species tucked in a few places, including some d. diandra, dwarf hairgrass, blyxa japonica (turned pinkish tan after 3 days in tank), ludwigia "cuba", among others... I've hit my stride with dosing: backed down NO3 to bring out reds, upped PO4 and traces to spur new growth, and doubled iron dosing to give the glandulosa a kick in the pants.

Oqsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	2404  

Eheim Pimp #171

post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well... thanks for the comments, folks!

seriously, anyone with feedback of any kind, as long as its constructive, have at it.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 10:42 PM
changing to CherylH

I like the mix of stems on the left--it puts me a little in mind of the edge of a forest and a meadow.

Even though they are different plants, I'm seeing too much symmetry with the 2, green, small, round-leaved plants in the background. What about moving the plant with the small, round leaves that is just to the right of the anubias to the far left of the tank and then either leaving that space open or using something with big leaves like a lilly or a sword? Or maybe just swapping it with the smaller stems to the right. That plant just seems to strong with the relatively open space just to the right.

You've got a good mix of colors and leaf shapes going. It will nice to see this fill in.

Cheryl

My tanks
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

great ideas, imp... thanks for the suggestions.

the plant on the right is bacopa, and i'm planning on letting it fill out some more, then using it from the back right corner, and tapering down in height to the middle, like I'm trying to do on the left. The idea is the way overdone "bowl" shape. the other "similar" plant to the bacopa is lysimachia, and while it is probably a little too similar to bacopa, I'm really enjoying the way it's weaving around the driftwood... the color and texture are really nice too.. I just wish I could come up with a way to keep it in the same place without tossing the bacopa (it's growing better than anything else in the tank besides the ludwigia repens and the chain sword.

plans for the immediate future:

chain sword is being replaced by blyxa japonica and dwarf hairgrass. stargrass on the right is already replaced with d. diandra (fine pink leaves in front of the green round ones helps take the edge off the bacopa). I also have some ludwigia inclinana "cuba", a single stem of macandra, and some aromatica that are almost imperceivable in that pic that will grow in and find homes somewhere in the scape (right now they're just out front where they're not shaded by the taller plants, so they can grow uninhibited). my ludwigia brevipes and ludwigia glandulosa are coloring up even more since the photo was taken, and will be trimmed and repositioned in a more pleasing setup soon, too. i have to jump on the bandwagon with the method of cutting nitrates, boosting iron and traces, and upping P a bit for reddish plants. They look like totally different species now that I'm giving them what they want.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Planted Member

I don't scan the photo album as much as I should. I've now subscribed to this thread.

I love the growth. Looked great before, but even nicer now! Love the use of color, and the brancy driftwood. Can't wait to get my hands on that piece you are saving for me!

Great job!
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

alright, time for an updated pic. current plant list from left to right:
ludwigia repens, ludwigia brevipes, ludwigia glandulosa, blyxa japonica, anubias nana, hottonia palustris, (small rotala macandra), proserpinaca palustris, and ludwigia sp. cuba. there are a couple of patches of dwarf hairgrass, but I don't expect them to hang around much longer. this is definitely my favorite layout so far. growth is phenomenal now.

Oqsy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank_04032006.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2689  

Eheim Pimp #171

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well poop. i just clicked on the picture, and it sure looks a lot darker than it did in photoshop. I'll have to import it from the camera again and use a lot less exposure correction this time around my apologies for the dim photo.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Planted Member

great tank
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks a lot

Eheim Pimp #171

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode