The Planted Tank Forum banner

SouthernCichlids' "Limbs of a Reaper" 40b switch initiated!

13K views 93 replies 18 participants last post by  SouthernCichlids 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm finally moved into my new place and with a new place, come a bigger/better tank! The switch to my 40b started on page 3 I believe, maybe page 4. Critique is always welcome!

Equipment
Aqueon 40 breeder
Petco Brooklyn stand (to be covered in MDF to resemble an ADA stand)
Eheim 2217 and 2213
Hydor in-line 200w heater
Buildmyled.com 36" freshwater planted tank LED fixture
MGOCPM capped with a mixture of Flourite black sand and Black Diamond

Hardscape
Ryuoh stone

Flora
Crypt nurii
Crypt nurii 'pahang mutated'
Crypt parva
Crypt petchii
Crypt wendtii 'Green Gecko"
Crypt wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Crypt wendtii 'De Witt Red'
Crypt wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Hygro kompacta
Rotala rotundifolia
Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Ludwigia 'Atlantis'
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia inclinata 'Cuba'

Fauna
23 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
3 LF BNs
14 Aspidoras alabater
2 Baby wild cross angels

Inverts
N/A

Dosing and Co2
Modified EI dosing
Pfertz root tabs
50% water change once a week
Pressurized co2 (5lb tank with GLA regulator)

See less See more
#2 ·
Now, on to some pictures! :proud:

Attachments

#3 ·
And a few more. I have just started dosing this tank and I wanted to see the progress it makes in the next few weeks...expect lots of pictures!

Attachments

#4 ·
Really nice setup!!!

Fish seem to be loving it too! The only thing I would change is the Moss in the back right corner. Is that a covered log or what? It just doesn't do anything for me. Other than that it is cool!

Do you have plans on a stand in the future? GREAT find on the tank too! I really like that loach! I can never find them around here. :(

Looks as if you are doing great, and I really want to see how everything grows in!
Drew

#5 ·
Thanks Drew! Right now, the moss is more for functionality as opposed to aesthetics. It's covering the ugly green tubing and giving all of my fry and baby shrimp a safe haven. I couldn't pass up the deal either, about 2 softball size portions for $7!

I'm keeping my eye out for a 36" stand in my area but they're hard to come by unfortunately so I might be going the DIY route pretty soon.

Thanks again! Those loaches are awesome! Awesome patterns/colors and are always zipping around the tank with each other. If you are looking for some young ones, someone on AquaBid is selling a group, it's a $1, no reserve auction and shipping is reasonable as well :hihi:

#7 ·
Very cool tank. Those angels may get a little big, but that's always a good excuse for a bigger tank...

#13 ·
Pretty big rescape today, the rocks and random plants just weren't what I had in mind for this tank long-term. Added quite a few large portions of new plants as I want this tank to be heavily planted with minimal hardscape (I kept 2 or 3 rocks to hold the 3 longer branches in place).

1 picture for tonight, it's not a teaser but it shows where this tank started at. Bare and bland with lots of equipment showing.

Attachments

#14 ·
SouthernCichlids' "Limbs of a Reaper"

Are all the same fish going back in the tank? I'm a noob and bought all the normal recommended fish. If I could start over I'd like a collection like that.

Also are you getting a stand soon? I've heard horror stories of people putting tanks and soft stuff like towels and carpets and then cracking the bottom because of all the soft stuff pushing up in the center.

#15 ·
Are all the same fish going back in the tank? I'm a noob and bought all the normal recommended fish. If I could start over I'd like a collection like that.

Also are you getting a stand soon? I've heard horror stories of people putting tanks and soft stuff like towels and carpets and then cracking the bottom because of all the soft stuff pushing up in the center.
I actually didn't even have to remove any of the fish as I wasn't doing a really drastic change. Seems like a stirred up the shrimp colony as they have been out and about a lot more, it has at least doubled in the past month!

I'm not too worried about it cracking, I don't have much in the tank that would push it beyond it's breaking point. But I am trying to find a stand, if that fails then I'll just build one myself :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Tank lights came on this morning and lots of the established wendtii (had it previously but had to move them around a little to incorporate the new crypts) has now melted. The tank looks kind of bare, anyone want to see some embarrassing pictures of it? :angryfire

On the bright side, I picked up 3 amano shrimp from the LFS today! :proud:

#28 ·
HUGE changes coming for this tank. Moving into a new apartment sometime in June so it won't take place until then but I picked up a 40 breeder and stand this week!

I really wanted the extra depth as my crypts will soon be wall to wall to wall to wall at the rate they're growing/spreading. And for $80 for a brand new tank and stand...now was the time to get them.

Livestock will also be changing. The angels are quickly outgrowing this tank as expected so they will be going into my 40 tall along with all the livebearers. This tank is going to house a nice school of 12-15 dwarf neon rainbows, 4 loaches, 6 cory cats, and amano shrimp.

Opinions and ideas are welcome as always!

#31 ·
Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish!.......are impossible to photograph :mad:

Algae on the other hand, not so much haha I have an actual mound of it that I scraped off the back glass

Oh, and crypt melt=TDS through the roof, it's sitting pretty at about 450

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
I'm starting my stockpile for when I switch everything to the 40b. Input is always appreciated! Will keep this updated as I think of and order the goods

Stockpile List:
Tank/stand/top/lighting/heater (acquired)
Additional filtration (Eheim 2217 acquired)
Hardscape (Ryuoh stone acquired from Frank)
Dry ferts (acquired)
Substrate (MGOPM + Flourite mix and sand cap)
CO2 system (acquired)

Any other ideas??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.