Everything growing like weeds again. I can not keep the narrow leaf chain swords short - they are on a short list to be rescaped. Meanwhile I am still fighting to make the baby tears into a foreground plant (have tried trimming every 3 weeks, but will have to accept that they will require weekly mowing).
Added my first riccia and moss last week, but still a long way from either taking off. The Amazon chain sword is on it's third runner - the second runner be coming out this week (hopefully) and will post an after pruning pic as well
I figured out how to trick my camera into reasonable color rendering (color of the tank has not changed.
I just realized how large of hole I left in this log, so here is a bit more. At some point around 11/15/05 I went to a vertical spraybar – this caused algae. My co2 ladder and my 2213 just could not supply enough flow and co2. I hooked up my HOT to get flow – things started getting better. I took a much needed vacation from 11/22 to 12/2/05. The vacation left my tank abandoned for a few days, then in the care of family for the next week. I came back to a less than perfect tank – some algae and signs of deficiencies. Luckily, I also came back to my first of two Tank Christmas presents – A new needle valve, an eheim co2 diffuser, and test kits. Within a few days I knew my water much better than I had before. Both PO4 and NO3 were around 40ppm. CO2 was around 60-80ppm. I started down the slow road to redemption. I also modified my HOT to a vertical spray bar. Almost immediately I got champagne bubbles.
By the week before Christmas (and 4+ large water changes latter), PO4 was down to tap levels 1-2ppm. NO3 absorption sky rocked. Plant growth drastically improved. Addition additional K also cured most of the deficiencies. My second tank Christmas present came in as well – a 2217, a hydor inline heater, and a switchable power center (each outlet is switched). Shortly after these I started on my automatic water change project – still pending. Actual installation of all the Christmas presents was only finished on 1/26 – so will take pictures tonight.
Anyway, this brings me pretty much to current. Most of the old plant growth and damage has been removed, new growth looks great, but a little less red (PO4 deficiency is my guess, I am resuming minimal dosing of it on 1/26/05.)