48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy) - Page 13 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Those are just your run of the mill gold barbs They were quite skinny when I got them but two weeks of bloodwoms, brine shrimp, and garlic laced pellets has fattened them up and given them some decent colour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

yea thats what I thought, they reminded me of my odyssa barbs, never seen yellow ones before though, they look sweet!
post #183 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

They were really popular 10-15 years ago but not quite as common these days. I wanted them as a contrasting colour to the cardinal tetras and blue rams.

The zebra plecos will be the topper though. I have a local shop bringing some in for me in about 6 weeks.
post #184 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Master Jedi will you please show me the ways of an Aquatic Jedi?!?!? I didn't know 95% of what you have done was even possible. Your led rig makes mines look like a book of matches... Wicked awesome!!!!!! In all seriousness I would love to learn just a bit of all this. Maybe websites and links I can study? Subscribed!

Last edited by dtejeda.arias; 03-25-2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Word misspelled
post #185 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Algae Grower

That thunderstorm mode is the tits!!!! I was thinking about doing some sunrise sunset stuff with having a bulb go off/ come on earlier hahaha but this right here is on another level, make that planet! Ridiculousness.

Does it also make coffee? hahah but seriously...

I may try to catch your fish if they are big enough
First PT- 55G
post #186 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiverRat View Post
That thunderstorm mode is the tits!!!! I was thinking about doing some sunrise sunset stuff with having a bulb go off/ come on earlier hahaha but this right here is on another level, make that planet! Ridiculousness.

Does it also make coffee? hahah but seriously...
It doesnt make coffee but I am going to set it up to dim my living room lights during a thunderstorm
post #187 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
Master Jedi will you please show me the ways of an Aquatic Jedi?!?!? I didn't know 95% of what you have done was even possible. Your led rig makes mines look like a book of matches... Wicked awesome!!!!!! In all seriousness I would love to learn just a bit of all this. Maybe websites and links I can study? Subscribed!
I built the led rig to work with a profilux but 90% if it will work with any controller that can do 0-10v control.

Its actually not much more complicated then a basic diy rig... just dimmable drivers controlled externally. If you have built a basic led rig before you can build this!
post #188 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
The zebra plecos will be the topper though. I have a local shop bringing some in for me in about 6 weeks.
Beautiful fish, but they hide 100% of the time. I wish they were more playful as it would warrant the cost of them.

ADA mini L - ADA 120p

post #189 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
Beautiful fish, but they hide 100% of the time. I wish they were more playful as it would warrant the cost of them.
Oh I know, ive kept them before. The way I have arranged the wood actually makes the shaded cave areas at the front of the tank so hopefully they will be more visible.
post #190 of 417 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

So my lights are proving to be WAY too intense at full brightness, even for a short period. I have not been able to keep up with CO2/Nutrient demand and has allowed hair algae to flourish.

On the up side, with the full intensity I was growing several stems at a rate of about a half to a full inch per day. The LED's are working, just time to do some fine tuning.

I've cut my lighting to 50% (Which is what I was running for my weekend days) and increased my CO2, balancing my Ph around 6.4. For the next few days I'm doing water changes to remove most of the offending hair algae (its almost all gone tonight after a 20 gallon water change).

On saturday I have a box of plants and shrimp flying in for me from Vancouver so that should help. I have 6 pots of HC, 2 pots of Ammania gracillis, 1 pot of Pogostemon Helfri, 1 pot of Bacopa australis, and 1 pot of Sunset Hygro coming along with my first batch of Crystal Reds.

That should be enough HC to get a carpet going pretty quick so I may actually crank the light for another week or two to get it rooting/spreading quickly.

I'm also looking for a remote trigger for my camera so I can set up a week long time lapse shot of the aquarium so I can show what the growth rate looks like. It's actually quite shocking, I have never had a planted tank grow this fast before. The last planted tank I ran had 4 x 96w Power compacts, and 4 x 65w Power compacts over it with full CO2 and ferts and it didnt even come close to this.

Pics coming soon, just waiting for the tank to clear up.
post #191 of 417 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Been a busy weekend. Started shaping the plants a bit, planted the HC carpet, and made the disastrous decision to add the Crystal reds. The gold barbs have eaten almost all of them. Plan B was to have mexican orange crayfish in here instead so we added 4 of those today.

Here are a couple of shots of the progress:

post #192 of 417 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

What an awesome setup you have! I see a Vortech on there. I had one on my reef tank back in the day. A truly amazing piece of equipment.
post #193 of 417 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

Impressive! Love the thunderstorm mode on the lights.
post #194 of 417 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

Subscribed! Very impressive work, can't wait to see more
post #195 of 417 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
What an awesome setup you have! I see a Vortech on there. I had one on my reef tank back in the day. A truly amazing piece of equipment.
Actually had seven of them but I recently sold off the 4 x mp40s and 2 x mp10s. Shutting down my reef totally paved the way for this tank. I loved the vortechs but there was absolutely no need for them on this rig. One is totally enough.

Reefing had started feeling more like work. This tank has finally got me excited about the hobby again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode