Hey guys, I must thank you guys for the ongoing interest. All your comments are great, and I am glad I've been able to inspire some with this tank.
Don't have much to update right now; I trimmed the moss a couple weeks ago and sent them out to a handful of people. My moss now is I think in like 6 different states now lol. Marsilea Minuta is growing slowly; I am seeing new stems poking out of the substrate and some runners. The tiny amount of glosso I have remaining on the right side is staying the same. That Nymphoides sp. Taiwan is growing a new leaf every week, and I have been propagating it to fill out the right side more.
I got these gro soil tabs from Hydrophyte's RAOK today that I will cut in half and put them in the substrate, to see if it boosts the marsilea and glosso into spreading a bit faster. I'm cutting them in half because they are ~1.5" OD and it would be easier in halves since my tank is so small. There's a pic of it below, with my car keys as an approximate scale. In the link, there's good testimonials about it so I am excited to see how it turns out for me. If it doesn't work out, I won 50 O+ tabs in a RAOK last week that I will try.
Okay, big picture update. The moss has been growing up and out like crazy, and the RCS's love it. But it was getting out of hand. The last several trims I did, I noticed that whatever moss that attached to the wood in the beginning was now rotted away, so it's just one huge floating mass of moss. 90% of it isn't clung on the wood anymore. In hindsight, I should have trimmed the moss more often early on to keep it short and compact. Since it got all crazy and dense, it was also making the tank look cramped, especially for the fish. They had very little swimming space. The nymphoides sp. Taiwan taking off didn't help either. I don't think it looked too good in this tank.
Here is the tank last week:
I did a major re-scape after work for just one hour, so it was a little rushed. It can definitely be improved. Any input from you guys would be much appreciated! I think a lot of crypts or s. repens would be good to fill out the back. This layout I feel definitely opens up the tank a lot more. I ended up pulling out the moss since it was just floating anyway. I have like 5-7 softball sized clumps I can RAOK to you guys, just PM me!
Got some L. Aromatica and Hygro sp. Japan via RAOK to fill in the back and fore-mid grounds. Tank still looks ehh...I need to be patient and let stuff grow in! I painstakingly separated and planted individual nodes of the hygro to encourage it to carpet. Hopefully it will. I don't think the L. Aromatica will survive; it's been starting to rot at the bottom of the stem where I pushed it in to the substrate, and I see more and more loose leaves every day.
Thanks Tyler! This layout is certainly more open for the fish and shrimp. It doesn't look all that great in pictures, but in person, it looks natural and nice. I look at my tank alot in between emails and when I'm zoning out at my desk
Moss is slowly growing back in. Hopefully the swords in the back start to grow taller and fill up that space. I'm also considering red myrio for the background as well. I should have more pics this week.
Weekly update. Still need something to fill in the left side and the background a bit more. Hydro sp. Japan is growing very well, which I am excited about! Been getting at least 1 new node a week and trimming that off and re-planting. Hopefully eventually it will carpet pretty well. The cherry shrimps are getting a little bigger too. I have a couple that are super red. I'm not sure if they are the high-grade fire red.