1-3-13:

Tank: 50g Truvu Cube, Acrylic, 24"x24"x20"
Stand: Custom DIY
Filter: Eheim Classic 600
Lighting: x2 23" Archaea Slim-Pro LED, 7000k-8000k
Substrate: ADA Amazonia & ADA Power Sand Special M
Plants: TBD
CO2: Pressurized CO2
Stock: x15 Sidthimunki Botia, x5 Checker Barb, x2 L144, x2 Red Whiptail Catfish, x2 African Butterfy, x2 Red Gold Gourami, possible remaining stock TBD

Stand still needs paint, detailing, skinning and finishing and pressurized CO2 needs to be purchased. Tank, substrate, lights, filter are all purchased and ready to go.

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice. Have similar size. Waiting to see what you do with it in terms of scape...These can be a challenge.

Are you planning bulkheads at all?

...Nice strong stand, though it looks kind of high: how tall is it? Have you thought about reaching into it?

#4 ·
Thanks to the both of you. No bulkheads, just gonna go with the Eheim canister. As for the stand, it's 42" at it's highest point, base dimensions are 36"x24"x30" while the top is 24"x24"12. I want the tank to be more eye-level than a standard set up and originally wanted it to be somewhat pillar shaped but figured with the tank only being 2' wide it would be very prone to tipping over so I made the modifications and decided to go with a more pedestal shape adding 6" to both sides making is 3' wide and believe me this stand is solid, it's not tipping anytime soon. I'll also have a lip going around the base of the tank for extra security and as for the height.. I'll be relying on a little step stool and elongated tools to help out.

#5 · (Edited)
1-17-13:

Posting an update, the stand has progressed, skinning the most of the surface area today and the staining and doors will hopefully be completed by the end of Sunday afternoon. I've also added the substrate and intend to add ADA sand to the bare area in the front left portion of the tank, the rocks are only to keep the area clear for the time being and are not planned to be in the final aquascape. More for the "bones" should be added by the end of next week. Here are two photos.

#9 ·
1-24-13:

Update, we have water. I'll be adding the filter today and the next goal will obviously be to complete the cycle. Then come the plants, then the fish. I'm using a betta and checker barbs to start the cycle rather than danios. I don't want to have the hassle of catching danios at the end of the cycle.

#14 ·
1-24-13:

Update, we have water. I'll be adding the filter today and the next goal will obviously be to complete the cycle. Then come the plants, then the fish. I'm using a betta and checker barbs to start the cycle rather than danios. I don't want to have the hassle of catching danios at the end of the cycle.
From my understanding using ADA Soil you do not need to cycle before planting. Check out thegreenmachine.com

#11 · (Edited)
1-28-13:

Update, the filter is set up and operational with no issues aside from the left piece of driftwood. There seems to be a clear algae/fungus like growth on the wood. It was previously in a well established planted aquarium to water log it and I don't recall seeing any of this growth on it. I figure I'll wait until the tank is fully cycled and see if it reseeds by then though any input or advice is welcomed. I will post a photo momentarily.

#18 ·
Another question for anyone who may know, I tested parameters last night and to my surprise I already had a large amount of nitrate and ammonia after less than a week. There was also a slight amount of nitrite as well. I was very skeptical about these results so I tested my 5g Spec which is heavily planted and the results showed zero ammonia and nitrite and about 10ppm nitrate, this was almost immediately after testing the 50g cube using the same syringe to extract water in both tanks. Does ADA Amazonia bring on these results in a newly set up tank? I should also mention that all fish in the tank, four checker barbs and one betta all see to be completely unaffected and are very active and in the two times I fed seemed to eat normally.

#23 ·
Yeah it's happened on all of my driftwood it goes away. Good water movement helps it go away a little quicker for me. The ammonia leaches from Ada soil for a while so your readings probably mean your cycle is starting. Planting is fine in the aqua soil just try to keep ammonia down to around 4 ppm or else some plants don't like it and it slows down your cycling process

#24 · (Edited)
2-5-13:
Update, so I've added a few plants to see just how well my lighting would hold up (I'm trying to keep the overall set up wattage as low as possible so I'm testing the waters with LEDs.) I'll likely add more plants in the somewhat near future but this is the biggest planted set up I've done to date and with all the planning/building of the stand and ordering the tank, time spent waiting and piecing together this set up, I just want to take a mental rest during the cycle and go at a slower pace for the time being.

Only one light is on in the photo, I find it more aesthetically pleasing when the tank isn't putting in it's hours of work each day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.