The Planted Tank Forum banner

54G Planted Tank Project (With Pictures)

3K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  2Shi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All!

My wife's brother recently bought his first fish tank. He filled it with gravel, 1 plastic plant, and 1 goldfish. After seeing his tank, I realized how beautiful fish are and decided to get one of my own.

I started doing research on fish tanks and I saw a ton of planted aquascapes that were absolutely brilliant. I decided to go with a fully-loaded setup instead of using 1 fake plant and 1 fish.

Most Recent Snapshot (1/12/2013):

Here's a list of what I've gotten so far:
-54 Gallon Bow-Front Corner Tank + Cabinet Stand
-Wet-Dry Sump
-150W Heater
-Pressurized CO2 System
-Potting Soil Topped with Eco Complete Substrate
-Small Air Stones
-TONS OF ROCKS (few of which I actually used -- I'm interested in Iwagumi
style tanks)
-2x24W T5HO Lighting Strip

I plan on stocking my tank with the following plants:
- Dwarf Hairgrass
- Java Moss
- Micro Swords
- Jungle Vals

Fish stock still undecided.

I'm at work right now so I can't post a picture at this very moment but I hope to get some pictures rolling by tomorrow! I'm expecting my order of plants to arrive on Friday so I look forward to getting all of that together as well :)

Please help me get my tank up and running :) This is my first and I'm sure to make mistakes along the way! I'm counting on you guys to help me out here! :D

Edit: Oh and also... http://en.iaplc.com/results12/top200vote/ *jaw crashes through basement*

See less See more
#29 ·
Did a quick look-up of wisteria. It looks like it grows really tall.

You can't really see it in the picture but the area above the CO2 diffuser has a strong downward current caused by my sumps output back into the tank. I purposely created that flow so that the CO2 bubbles from the diffuser will be pushed back downwards before reaching the surface of the water.

Wisteria is a tall plant and will get blown sideways from the amount of current in that area. I need to plant that area up with some short midground plants.

#30 · (Edited)
Just came back from vacation.

My jungle vals seem to have completely melted while I was gone. I'm thinking of cutting them really short (about 2 inches) in hopes that the plant will stop wasting nutrients on the melted leaves and form new ones instead. Is that a good idea? I heard some plants will melt when their tank is changed but regrow well based on the new water parameters. Is this fact or myth?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.