I am back into the aquarium hobby after being out for a while. At one point I had 7 tanks from 10 gallons to 125 gallons. I kept plants in some of my tanks with varying degrees of success. Work and family commitments had made it too difficult to keep up with my aquariums, so I had to sell my tanks. I did keep a 29 Gallon in storage during my time out of the hobby because I knew I'd want to get back into it eventually.
The tank is a standard 29 Gallon (30x12x18)
Fluval 205 (Mechanical and Biological media, no chemical)
Aqueon 150 Watt Heater
Hydor Koralia Nano 240
Aqueon Dual T5NO with 2 6700k bulbs
Photoperiod is 7 hours from 3PM until 10PM
Carib Sea Flora Max (approx 3 inches deep)
Aquariumplants.com Total Liquid (5 Drops weekly after 30% water change)
Flourish Excel (approx ˝ capful every 2-3 days)
Aquariumplants.com Total, Iron, and Trace tablets once per month to supplement the substrate
Anubias Nana Petite
7 Peppered Cories
I set the tank up in April 2012, here is what it looked like after the initial planting.
By September, I had made some scape changes. The cave just didn't look right, and there was no driftwood. I really like the look of granite and driftwood, so I left the single stone and added the Malaysian and Mopani driftwood. I was not aware of the melting that would occur with the microswords, so I pulled them out after they shed their emersed growth and tossed them. I wish I would have been reading the forum at that time, then I would have had more patience and waited. I knew that the round emersed leaves of the Blehri would melt away and the submersed leaves would replace them, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together for the microswords. Live and learn, right? I replaced them with some Anubias Nana and Anubias Barteri.
Since the tank was set up, I've fought several rounds with the dreaded BGA/Cyanobacteria. I don't like using medications, and I knew that the source of the problem had to be attacked. After reading several threads and linked articles, I decided I had a problem with a lack of water movement. I added the Koralia and the that did the trick. 90% of the BGA has disappeared.
I have removed the Malaysian driftwood and added another piece of Mopani
I have also added and removed some flora. The Anubias Barteri was removed and I added some Anubias Petite attached to a piece of mopani driftwood. Behind the wood, I added Bacopa Caroliniana and in front of the wood I added the Lilaeopsis. I also placed some Valisneria in various spots. Here is how it looks as of today.
Photo Update: 2/17/2013
I want to say thank you to everyone that contributes to the forum. The information here has been instrumental in the success I have had to this point.
All comments, criticism, and suggestions welcome.