I have been terrible at updating this thread!
So, I have recently re-done this tank and gone all high tech.
I have learned a lot since I first posted this thread and realized I had some serious imbalances that lead to many plants just not making it. Too much light paired with not enough co2 and inconsistent fert dosing led to things generally not working out in this tank. I was trying to keep plants that I really did not have the right setup for.
I also had an outbreak of BGA this summer (tank is right under sunny window) and dumped a bunch of plants as a result of this including my glosso which was covered in a thick layer of BGA
So, recent changes I have made:
- switched eco complete substrate to ada aquasoil amazonian (I am using a pH monitor, crushed coral and buffer to keep pH and kh at goldfish appropriate levels. It has been almost a week and pH is a solid 7.1-7.2)
- Added a 'real' co2 system from GLA along with inline diffuser. I realized the fluval kit just wasn't cutting it for this tank and it was getting expensive.
- Began following EI fert dosing schedule
2 oranda goldfish
- Blyxa japonica (thank you hedge_fund!)
- star grass
- water sprite
- ludwigia repens
- ludwigia atlantis
- rotala wallichi
- rotala nanjenshan
- rotala indica
- erios parkeri
- staurogyne repens
- limnophila aquatica
- Echinodorus Parviflorus 'tropica'
I have a couple more plants that I want to add eventually that are getting some roots in a grow out tank currently including downoi and limnophila aromatica. I am thinking about trying s. repens and downoi for foreground plants this time.
(please excuse the cloudiness, this was soon after the substrate change over)