Had some time on the December 29th to prune allot of the overgrowth on the 29gallon and plant the cuttings in the Bow front, lots of Sunset Hygrophila and Wisteria along with Roseafolia, Water Primrose and Brazilian Pennywort. The Driftwood was soaking since December 25th so everything was ready to go.
Started planting from back to front placing the driftwood as I went along hygrophila Wisteria and Brazilian pennywort in the very back , Roseafoila ahead of those and finaly the Water Primrose upfront . I also pulled up all the Bacopa I had and put that in the middle in front of the Wisteria along with the three Marimo balls. I have a fully cycled Aquatech 5-15 that I use in emergencies for my Quarantine tank so I put it in the 46g along with an Emperor 280 that I got for a dollar as a promo when I purchased the tank. I have always used Aqua Clears for my main filtration and never had a bio-wheel before so I thought I would give it a whirl.
Started cycling the tank by dosing ammonia right away I won’t be adding any fish until things settle down since the Tiger Barbs are safe and sound in the 29gallon, so I added 6ml of pure ammonia on the 30th which brought the level to 2ppm I’m in no rush so I decided to gradually increase the dosage depending on the results I get.
January 6 2013 Well It took one hole week to get rid of the 6mls of ammonia I added I also detected a little bit of nitrite barely above 0 and 5ppm nitrates so I dosed 7mls ammonia this time and that was gone 24hrs later .during this waiting period I have been poking the gravel with a wooden dowel I got to rid the substrate of those nasty methane bubbles that form in newly submerged dirt .I decided to put co2 in this tank as well , I’m not sure I will keep we will see what kind of growth get if it’s too much I will remove it .
January 8 ammonia was gone again so I dosed 8mls more. I have not added any ferts in this tank in fear of some algae bloom , I usually dose phosphates since none are present in my well water but high ammonia +lots of nutrients from the soil + phosphates usually = green water so no ferts for now.
Today I tested all three ammonia .50 nitrite off the chart nitrates 10 good things are happening. Dosed another 8mil ammonia here is a pic of what I’ve done