24 February, 2013

12 February, 2013

4 February, 2013

25 January, 2013:

29 December, 2012:

Specifications
110G Oceanic Systems Tank
Dimensions: 60" x 18" x 24"
Substrate: CaribSea Super Naturals Tahitian Moon, half mixed with AMACO Mexican Red Pottery Clay
Lighting: Ray II 24" DS 24 Inches 7000k / 7000k, GLO 2x 54W T5HO (7000k bulbs).
CO2: 5lb canister into .5 micron diffusion stone
Filtration: Eheim 2217 with glass lily pipe outflow, Fluval 405, [STRIKE]Fluval 403 with spraybar[/STRIKE]
Fertilizers: EI dosing
KNO3 (K) - 2.173g 3x week (M,W,F)
KH2PO4 (PO4) - 0.347g 3x week (M,W,F)
CSM+B - 1.275g 3x week (T,Th,Sa)

Flora:
  • Anubias Nana Petite
  • Anubias spp.
  • Taxiphyllum Barbieri (Java & Flame)
  • Sagittaria Subulata
  • Alternanthera Reineckii
  • Hygrophila Corymbosa Kompakt
  • Bacopa Monnieri
  • Nymphoides Aquatica
  • Nymphaea Pubescens
  • Echinodorus spp.
  • Limnobium Laevigatum
  • Rotala Red sp. ?(Wild-caught Nevada)
  • Myriophyllum Mattogrosensis
  • Hygrophylla Polysperma 'Tropica Sunset'
  • Rotala sp. Vietnam
  • Rotala 'Magenta' Wallichi
  • Cabomba Furcata
  • Limnophylla Aromatica
  • Ludwigia Inclinata var. Verticillata 'Cuba'
  • Ludwigia Arcuata 'Needle Leaf' (tissue-cultured)
  • Rotala Indica
  • Pogostemon Stellatus
  • Vallisneria Americana gigantea

Fauna:
  • "Flotsam" and "Jetsam" Koi Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)
  • "Pongo" and "Perdita" Dalmation Mollys + Offspring (Poecilia latipinna)
  • "Bruce" Red Tail Shark (Epalzeorhynchos Bicolor)
  • "Otto" (Otocinclus macrospilus) & 3 friends.
  • 19x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
  • 7x Black Skirt Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi)
  • 9x Fancy Guppies (3 tequila sunrise, 1 turquoise, 5x random spots/stripes)
  • [STRIKE]"Burnout" - Tracked Nerite Snail, "Spirals" - Striped Nerite Snail[/STRIKE]
  • [STRIKE]Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Murder Mystery!)[/STRIKE]
  • "Peach" - Golden Apple Snail
  • Ramshorn Snails
  • Pond snails
  • Ghost Shrimp

See less See more
#30 ·
:( sorry bout the damage.. But really. So beautiful.

A ton of people would pay out the butt to have their tanks look like this. Especially such a well planted large tank.

Keep it up.

#33 ·
Thanks! Just a quick update. I started keeping a powerpoint containing slides of my plants & their names, to help me with remembering them. I'm getting better, but I still struggle with some of the Rotala, Ludwigia, and Hygrophila species.

I planted a TON of new plants over the past week, thanks to some great RAOKs that I received. My Cabomba Furcata which was originally a 4" stem has turned into 4 stems, each about 6" tall now and growing an inch or more per day... I want to plant a whole forest of them on the right side of my tank. I moved all the hygrophila species over to the left side of the tank too. To make room for plants I had to remove some smaller hardscape that was getting lost in there anyway :)

I also ordered some new mosses which I plan to set up in a moss-only nano tank soon.

I updated the FTS at the top of the thread, and once things recover from my disruption, I'll post some good pictures of the new plants :)

#34 ·
I removed the center three pieces of driftwood from this tank... more room for plants!

The only driftwood I kept in there were pieces which had Anubias firmly attached to them. I think eventually I'm going to re-scape and mostly do an open-field kind of look with the sag for about 60-70% of the tank. The cabomba furcata reminds me of the trees from "The Lorax" - I thought it might be kind of fun to have them planted at intervals within the "field" of sag.

Of course, that means I need to re-locate most of the stems on the right side ... I have some beautiful huge crypt wendtii and ciliata back there in that corner that you can't even see anymore.

#35 ·
Been a long time since I've updated - I've pretty much been neglecting this tank beyond my water change each weekend. Some of my plants have broken the surface, and I need to seriously trim the sagitarria in the front, because some of it is almost 12" tall now (!).

One thing I did do was take off another canister filter (bringing me down to just the Eheim 2217) and installed 2 Koralia Nano 425s for flow instead. It seems like my plants and fish like the change quite a bit.

I've also planted a bunch of other random plants in there I've received lately from RAOKs or what-not. I got some bucephelandra, not sure what sp. that I'm hoping will grow well.

#36 ·
My tank is having a tough week. My breeding pair of mollies both jumped out of the tank and died within days of one another. I suspect my redtail shark chased them out. And today one of my angel fish is laying on his side on the bottom of the tank :(. I moved him to a quarantine tank, but I'm not sure how to proceed. He doesn't look good. :(

#38 ·
Thanks, he was dead this morning. I didn't see anything obviously wrong that would indicate bacteria (no fin clamping, redness, swollen abdomen, etc.). I tested the water and everything was nominal =/

Maybe just old age... they were full-grown when I bought them from my LFS, and I don't know how long the previous owner had them prior.

Oh well.

#41 ·
Long time no post. Tank is still doing fine in the new house. I have completely removed all filtration from the tank, and it is running exclusively on two small water circulation pumps in each corner plus one of the finnex lights. I've gone with all slow-growers now for easier maintenance, just a tank full of crypts, anubias, and mosses/sag covering the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.