New to tanks but i'm hooked! - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (0/0%)
New to tanks but i'm hooked!

Hello all, i figured i would post up my venture into planted tanks. I apologies up front if i don't know the proper terms and acronyms, this is all new to me and a far cry from my other hobbies That being said, here we go.

A couple months ago we decided my daughter was ready for a pet and i figured a few gold fish would be a good start. A friend of mine gave me a 10gal tank and we were off! I started off with the typical Spongebob decor and 4 comet goldfish. I ended up getting a couple plants for a more natural look and ditched the pineapple house. I found out quick that i enjoyed the plants much more than the goldfish. After much research and scouring the internet i quickly realized i had to ditch the goldfish and get a bigger tank. I found a new home for the goldfish and picked up a 55gal this past sat.

Here is a picture of the 10gal before i broke it down. I upgraded the lighting and added CO2 injection.

I picked up a Aqueon 55gal kit and some supplys.

I never liked how the filter and wiring was visible from the back of the tank so i opted for a black background. I picked up some black vinyl sheet.

I applied it using a solution in a spray bottle (75% water, 25% Isopropyl alcohol, and a couple drops of soap) and a squeegee.

I positioned, trimmed, and squeegeed the solution to the edges.

I got some polycarbonate strips cut in different heights and some clear RTV.

I positioned the dividers to keep the carpeting plants where i wanted them and also to keep the substrate from sliding. i laid out my hardscape and went to town. I taped the dividers and secured with the RTV.

I dirted the bottom of the tank with MGOPM that had the bits of wood chips and sticks removed.

I added my substrates and it was ready for some water!

The hardest part of the entire process was adding the water. I had no way to hook up a hose so i had to fill the entire tank with a 1/2 gallon pitcher

I filled the tank about a third of the way and planted it. I used Dwarf hairgrass, micro sward, and rotala magenta. I don't plan on adding any livestock for a while. Here is the finished product

I am already making plans to upgrade the lighting and CO2 system.

Thanks for reading, any comments or criticism are welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode