Scott's 40 breeder Journal- Couple New Pics!! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lucky bum. Now I want one!

I'm enjoying your thread. It's great to see things come together in steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congrats!

I'm actually planning as well to take advantage of the Petco $1/gallon sale and pick me up a 40B so I can retire my old 37g tank.

Good luck!

40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok folks, question time... I am starting to doubt substrate choice, and really need help!

I am being told by some eco-complete is the way to go, and others ADA, and still some other types! Now... here's what really does it for me, here's what will help make up my mind.

My aquascape is likely to involve some steep slopes, and I've heard eco-complete is not as good for slopes as AS. Is this true? Does AS slope better than EC? If so I'll go that route.

Thanks
-Scott
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
Lucky bum. Now I want one!

I'm enjoying your thread. It's great to see things come together in steps.
Glad you're enjoying it! I know I am!

Sorry it's slow going, but on a budget, so things are coming in one little baby step at a time.

Thanks
-Scott
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm using up aqua as Nd so far it works really well but I imagine Ada brand as would be alot better

People say Ecco complete works well as it holds the nutrients In the substrate really well
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
Congrats!

I'm actually planning as well to take advantage of the Petco $1/gallon sale and pick me up a 40B so I can retire my old 37g tank.

Good luck!
Enjoy it when you do! I love the 40B footprint!
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead1990 View Post
I'm using up aqua as Nd so far it works really well but I imagine Ada brand as would be alot better

People say Ecco complete works well as it holds the nutrients In the substrate really well
Thanks for the input. I know as far as growth goes, both eco complete and AS would work well, and so I'm not actually too concerned there.

My main concern is with the ability to aquascape... Which would be best to create the sloped aquascape, making dramatic changes in elevation.

Thank you
-Scott
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well not really tank related here, but just landed a new job! Will be making a bit more $$ now and so hopefully that will translate into slightly faster part acquisition for this build! lol

Just wanted to share in my excitement.

-Scott
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Congrats.....now you can feed more $$$ in the black hole of this hobby.
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes indeed. The fiance was not amused when I brought up that I have a hobby to spend all this extra money I'll be making on lol.

For some reason she thought I'd be putting at least SOME of it into our wedding. Silly. hahaha... kidding of course.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

May have just found a pretty interesting, unique rock locally to use the in tank. Will be going this weekend to check it out, probably with a little vinegar to see if it would be suitable. For only $.17/lb it would be a steal of a deal if I can get interesting shapes and sizes.

Here's a sample pic from the website.

What do you guys think? It's called "driftwood rock" by the company selling it... Light brown in color, jagged edges, may just be what I've been looking for!!

-Scott
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got some rocks!

Picked up some rocks yesterday from a local landscaping supply. This stuff has some pretty awesome texture to it, and I'm pretty curious how it's going to look when wet. It definitely needs a good washing before it is ready for tank use...

But here it is:

Pic of all the rocks, not laid out in any order... Just laid them out for the photo

And then a couple pics closer up to two of the stones to give some idea of the texture. Pics don't do it justice.

What do you guys think? Think it is usable to make for an interesting tank?

Thanks!
-Scott
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

That rock looks nice with lots of detail. As far as the substrate goes I have use both. I had HC lift and float away using soils. If I had used Eco Complete I believe the root would of anchored better and held down. Really I can't imagine either will steer you wrong. On a side note I used the RKE since it came out many moons ago and although it seem like a cool gadget to have, it was just another thing to maintain. The SL1 pH meter sucks. Other then having some safe guards I don't really know what you would use it for on a planted tank. A timer? Moon lights? Sorry to be a negative Nancy but I have had issues with the company promising things that never pan out. Can't way to see this up.
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for adding to the thread Pugman, as you already know I absolutely love your build! I like the rocks I had gotten, but will pick up lava rocks as well, try some different scapes, and post pics. As for the RKE, I mostly got it for safeguards, but also a few added benefits.

I do want it to control lights, and will likely use the MLC to have moonlights on an actual lunar cycle, not cause I think it actually will help fish or plants, but mostly cause I think it will be cool.

I want the ability to easily set up an ATO on the fly if I go on vacation or something, and I know a quick float switch addition can make that happen.

The PH meter, eh, I may get a replacement probe if needed. I'm mostly going to have it monitor for if I get a failure in my CO2 system causing a PH drop, or anything strange like that.

The biggest benefit I'll be getting from it are the timers, to time lights, CO2, dosing pumps, etc... And I do plan to set up a reef tank again in the future, so it's also a bit of an investment to control all my tanks I ever have down the road.

Dont worry about being a negative nancy, differing opinions are what made these hobbies work! I also appreciate the advice on substrate, I think I've pretty well decided on ADA AS, and I'm hoping 4x 9l bags will do the trick!
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

CO2 system teaser... got the regulator and needle valve, will post assembly pics once the solenoid comes in and I can find a bubble counter I like, oh and the proper fittings for CO2. For now, here's a pic of the regulator! It's a Victor VTS 250C. 4000 PSI high, 100 PSI working gauge.

As always, sorry for crappy cell phone pics!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode