The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mr. Aqua 11.4G Riparium - Take 2

11K views 74 replies 20 participants last post by  lamiskool 
#1 · (Edited)
Mr. Aqua 11.4G Riparium - Take 2

I have had this tank sitting empty for almost a year, but I want to set it up again.

A couple of years ago I had a nice planting in here that featured baby panda bamboo (Pogonatherum crinitum). This plant proved to be an excellent choice as nano riparium background foliage, if a bit challenging to grow. It is one of the few riparium plants that I have tried that I would characterize as "high light". You really do have to shine pretty bright light on it or it will grow thin and spindly.

I might use baby panda bamboo for this new planting, or I might opt for something new. I have been testing out a few other new riparium selections and I have some good possibilities.

Here is an old shot showing the tank when I first set it up two years ago. I am going to work on putting it back together today. I also intend to paint the wall a dark purple as a better background color. Plants do not look very good against that dull tan.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks so much Paul. What kinds of aquarium projects do you have going right now?

I need to ponder plant choice for this little setup some more. I might opt for the baby panda bamboo again, or I might opt for this other interesting grass, Pleioblastus fortunei.

Baby panda bamboo (P. crinitum) is a grass, but it is not a true bamboo. P. fortunei is a true bamboo, and a grass as well of course.

#9 ·
Here it is with water. I am filling this tank to only about 2 1/2" from the top. This improves the proportions for the whole riparium layout--making the water portion a bit more broad and shallow--and it also might help to keep fish inside this rimless tank.

#11 ·
Here's this planting again with plants ID'd.

Again, the planting looks pretty crummy right now, but it will perk up as the plants start to grow in.

• A. Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'
  • B. Musa acuminata 'Super Dwarf Cavendish'
  • C. Oplismenus hirtellus 'Variegatus'
  • D. Pilea 'Moon Valley
  • E. Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset'
  • F. Pilea grandifolia
  • G. Pleioblastus fortunei "Dwarf Whitestripe"
  • H. Alternanthera dentata 'Little Ruby'
  • I. Marsilea quadrifolia

#15 ·
Today I found the perfect fish for this setup!...

Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnow

Green Lantern Platy

I think that I will add maybe a half-dozen of the gold white cloud mountain minnows with maybe three of the green lantern platies. I did not purchase the fish yet because I plan to return tomorrow after researching some of the other species that they had in the store.

I think these fish will look good with the riparium plants that I have in there.

#26 ·
Yeah Devin, you've outdone yourself. This is incredibly colorful, and should look even better over time. The fish are a wonderful addition!

One question.....what some did you use?
Thanks very much. Yes I hope that it will shape up as the plants grow in some more.

That stone is old highly-weathered bricks that I found in the river. It would otherwise be very colorful and gawdy to use in a layout, but I think that it works well with this combination of fish and plants.

Here is another angle shot...

And here's a better view of the riparium foliage...

#34 ·
I think that I figured out a pretty good lighting solution for this setup. It is difficult to find a fixture to light up the 18" width of this tank.

This is a pair of trouble lamp reflectors that I put together with a dual-socket ceiling fixture. It attached real secure to the metal shelf bracket with the threaded knob at the top of the socket assembly.

I will install two 16w 6500K daylight CFL bulbs and this should provide a real nice light for growing these plants. I also intend to cut the hooks at the top of each reflector off because they will just catch on my shirt sleeve. I just need to go to the hardware store to get a couple more items and then I can put this together and hang it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.