The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 Gallon Wild Type Shrimp Tank

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  drewsuf82 
#1 ·
Welcome to my Wild Type Shrimp Tank

I grabbed a 10 gallon tank at the LFS and grabbed some eco-complete since it's the substrate in the tank that they're in now. I also really wanted to try out this RocketFilter and grō soil that I got from a RAOK :)

So here's the primary info:
  • 10 Gallon
  • EcoComplete
  • Rocket Filter
  • ~25 lbs of leftover rock that I had laying around
  • T8 PowerGlo light
  • Using Flourish product line with this tank (excel, plant food and iron)
  • grō soil (First time using it)

Plants:
  • Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
  • Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)
  • Brazilian Pennywort (Hydrocotyle leucocephala)
  • Moss Ball

This is a few days behind I took these pictures while I was setting up Just haven't gotten around to posting

So here's the first set of setup to current

The inlet is pretty thin trying to decide if I want to throw some type of sponge around this or not

Initial Layout

Close Ups with substrate in place

Plants and Water in and running:

Prolly going to move the moss ball back to my 55 gallon, it's in here right now to help speed cycling

That's that, I think that I'm going to change the substrate up a bit to give it some depth I didn't realize how flat it looked until I looked at the preview.

Reserving the next few posts for update purposes

Comments and suggestions always welcome :)

See less See more
#6 ·
The filter I acquired locally it looked really different and I was pretty happy to get it (I do have a backup hob available just incase)

The dark ones :) They're getting big I need to get them moved....

#7 ·
So I figure time for a super speedy update:

The rocket filter is no more, it actually caused the death of 2 residents (not shrimp) so I figured forget that, so I have changed to an in tank filter with seems to be doing good and hasn't sucked anyone up LOL

I added some weeping moss and that's turning out nicely and the tank is filling in very nicely. I will be trying to incorporate some cholla wood here soon so the shrimp have a place to have fun

The shrimp are doing ok although there's only about 4 of them in there so once I get a good shot of them I will be looking to pick up a few more

#10 ·
So after a good long while...and much time thinking that I had only gotten all females, I went in to go to bed tonight and low and behold I've got a VERY HEAVILY BERRIED FEMALE!!!!!!!

:biggrin:

#12 ·
Well then! I've been really slacking with this tank and it's major update time.

I was having a HORRIBLE (and I do mean HORRIBLE) outbreak of algae and hair algae in this tank and while the wild types inside didn't really seem to mind, well yea I mind LOL

So anyway here's some images of the pre-rescape. I had some amazing growth on the xmas moss however it's riddled and currently in treatment for the algae. Its not looking entirely happy from the treatment so I may lose it :(

I'm also in the process of swapping over to RODI for all of my tanks and I've seen that help the water quality and shrimp activity! It's a lot of work but I don't mind it because my tanks are starting to look really good!

Anyways the major issue was a lack of CO2 coupled with light, nutrients and lack of an overly hungry plant (in this case the moss) coupled with a SEVERE outbreak of pond snails. You have no idea how much pond snails can tear up a tank!

Full tank shot:

As you can see, the plants were NOT happy with the situation. So I did some searching, and did a lot of information gathering and some research on some plants and made some changes (including a sponge filter in order to facilitate some surface agitation) and have been using excel in the tank every day. Here's the results :)

Some plant and shrimp shots

And the Full tank shot! There's still some recurring algae as you can see, but I've yet to add a BN pleco to the tank (I will as soon as it come's in and that will help alleviate a lot of that issue) Plants have been growing very well, shrimp seem happy (I have a berried female somewhere in there who is quite camera shy) and have added a number of fast growing plants.

The plants don't look that big but I did some maintenance today (apparently missing some algae in my scrape >< ) and trimmed and replanted most in order to try to get some rigorous growth going. I'm hoping everything in the tank will be 100% balanced out by the start of the semester. It's already a 100000% improvement. Just need some good growth in there and I'll be in business!

Oddly enough the plants have 0 algae on them...it just seems to be liking the glass. I don't see any stems or leaves affected by what's slowing growth on the glass.

I'm also trying to keep the amount I scrape in the tank to an absolute minimum since I have berried females in there and I don't wan them to drop the eggs like they did when I did the re-work a few weeks ago :eek5:

Thanks everyone and I hope you enjoy looking at the tank as much as I do! Feel free to ask any questions :)

#13 ·
Just wanted to give a few small shots to update this. I'm planning on introducing some cull PFR males to see if I can get this shrimp type to breed so it's going to be a project. Planning on moving a few males over to this tank Sunday.

The subwassertang has grown exceptionally well in this environment! I trim it monthly, it's actually due now....

Anyway here's two of the shrimp :)

This female has berried several times, I want to get a few cull PFR males in here, see if they will start making me youngins

And another female in the tank

I don't have a FTS tonight, did some maint. and plant moving in there tonight....

Anyway please feel free to comment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.