The Planted Tank Forum banner

Betta Tank - 5 Gallon

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ownedbycats 
#1 ·
Tank data:
FLuval Spec V - approx. 5 gallons
Stock LED light - theoretically 7500K
Stock filter - seems quite good, had to put sponge over the outflow to reduce current for the betta
Substrate:

Current plants:
1 Windelov java fern
1 mystery crypt
3 stems of red ludwigia

Future Plants:
-green dots: anubias nana petite (when I can find them)
- red dots: to be decided, something with broad leaves that will be about 8 inches high
-blue stripe on wood: Christmas moss

Inhabitant:
- 1 betta
- 1 pond snail (will add assassin snail from main tank when this one starts to multiply)

Pictures:
-Full tank shot
-Planning plant placement
-betta

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I still really like the Fluval Spec V, but have discovered the first serious drawback to this tank. The lid has a hole in the middle so nothing blocks the LED light. This allows a lot of evaporation, which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that the intake grate for the built in canister is set right under the lid. If the water drops even an inch, your filter motor is going to be running on air. If you have a betta or other air breathing creature, you probably start with the water level low and rapid evaporation will drop the level below the grate in just a few of days. Once you know this problem exists, you just keep a close eye on the tank and refill as needed, but the instructions that come with the tank contain no warning about this at all.

#5 ·
The tank has been running for just about a month now. The Windelov fern has grown a leaf, the mystery crypt has grown two, the ludwigia has grown small leaves on top but is losing the red color (I don't care as long as it grows).
Have recently added water wisteria on the left behind the driftwood, it seems to be doing well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.