40 Breeders? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

I think I have 4 Angels and 2 ABN's currently in that tank not doing too much to that tank for a while as I am getting ready to move to the east coast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post
Nelsontreyjones- I like the "spire" look of the driftwood in there. Keep up the good work, once things grow in more it's going to look even better!
Thanks. I have some more plants on the way to fill in some area. Also thinking about doing a Co2 setup.
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crob5965 View Post
only thing I really dont like about the 40 gal B is the glass lid is so heavy anyone else noticed that? I noticed Nelsontreyjones has the same one I have

i have the aqueon glass lid for it, seems fine for the weight, its tempered glass, normally a lil more heavier than normal plate glass form what i have noticed working with glass at the glass shop i used to work in making vinyl windows/doors

triple strength glass a 8x12 sheet omfg heavy
post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
only thing I really dont like about the 40 gal B is the glass lid is so heavy anyone else noticed that? I noticed Nelsontreyjones has the same one I have
It not too bad, I say its less then 10 pounds. Only thing I don't like about it is that its another thing to clean. I don't know if it is better to go without a lid or not.
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarakiah View Post
i disagree with everyone that just posted their tanks in this thread. 3 dome lights with cfl's. WIN
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. That works for your tank, awesome! But I'm sure that what others are doing works for them. Also it can be an aesthetic decision when buying a light fixture, some people want their lights to look a certain way above their tank.

Glad yours are working for you though. Lets try to be more open to differences in equipment here! lol
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll probably try to go without a lid on mine, mostly cause I live in So Cal and I'm afraid a lid will enclose too much eat and I may not be able to keep temps down enough. When I had a reef tank set up I occasionally had to turn fans on over the tank to get evaporative cooling going.
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
i disagree with everyone that just posted their tanks in this thread. 3 dome lights with cfl's. WIN

I used to have 3 shop lights with CFL bulbs on this tank other than blinding the SH!T out of me when I looked at the tank I thought it was great for lighting under $20

I bought a 36" LED 120 bulbs w/ 9 blue I think it said it put's out 10k
vote is still out on the LED Light, it looks good but I think the plants were doing better with the CFL's (my wife would disagree)
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

How long ago did you switch to LED?
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I'll probably try to go without a lid on mine, mostly cause I live in So Cal and I'm afraid a lid will enclose too much eat and I may not be able to keep temps down enough. When I had a reef tank set up I occasionally had to turn fans on over the tank to get evaporative cooling going.
I'm from FL and never had an issue with heat and lids but I agree i'm not sure if it was worth it, It helps with evaporation
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
How long ago did you switch to LED?
about a month, seems like plant growth slowed down since then but looking at the pics I posted tonight (from 2-3months ago) compared to my tank now maybe I'm wrong nd the LED is fine
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm from FL and never had an issue with heat and lids but I agree i'm not sure if it was worth it, It helps with evaporation
Yeah that's the plus side to them that I have not yet talked myself completely away from... Cause it will be a pain in the rear to continually top off with primed water unless I keep a tank of primed water.... And that's a tough sell for my fiance lol
post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Planted Member

i shop for function and cost, if i want the tank to look "nice" ill make a canopy to hide the lights whether i choose a t5ho light for example or shop lights, to me, everytank looks like garbage unless it has its lights completly hidin
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
i shop for function and cost, if i want the tank to look "nice" ill make a canopy to hide the lights whether i choose a t5ho light for example or shop lights, to me, everytank looks like garbage unless it has its lights completly hidin
I tend to disagree. I like an open top tank with a sweet LED strip hanging from the ceiling over it... that's my plan, either that or a shelf with the LED handing from that.

I had a canopy before on a reef tank, I didn't like the look all that much.
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I tend to disagree. I like an open top tank with a sweet LED strip hanging from the ceiling over it... that's my plan, either that or a shelf with the LED handing from that.

I had a canopy before on a reef tank, I didn't like the look all that much.

to me canopy is everything, i wanna focus on the tank, not the lighting to each their own i guess
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
to me canopy is everything, i wanna focus on the tank, not the lighting to each their own i guess
To each their own indeed I like a whole ensemble, nice stand, nice lighting, nice tank.

The one thing I DO like hidden, filtration and heating equipment, but others like easy access to it all hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode