40 Breeders? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Crob- The openness of that scape is pretty nice! Really lets you see the fish, and I'll definitely check the thread you mentioned! Think you can get pics of the DIY stand? Would love to see what ya made. I think if the canopy matches the stand, that always looks nice!

Danakin- Checking sig link...

speedie- all I can say is wow. That is awesome! I am still deciding on flora for mine... I'll check out your link for specs! That is really a piece of art ya had going there.

Thanks everyone for getting this going! Keep em coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post
Very nice! Looks great steven p! Thanks for including it in the thread. Do you do any CO2 on this one? Or is it fairly low tech?

I like the scaping, Almost looks like looking into a forest.

Thanks!
-Scott
i ran two gallon jugs and two 2 liter bottles together of co2 brew for a while, but after a few days of missed maintenance floaters choked the surface and i think i gassed a lot of neons and guppies... =[ so for now, its running low tech with a canister, heater, and powerhead/pump with prefilter pointed upwards to roll water up to the surface.

and thanks for the compliment.. i do feel like i should gut it and dirt it, however.. growth isn't as stable as it is in a few of my other tanks...
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lights on it are my only 'high tech' and pricey thing. One light was for my 4ft tank, but I moved it onto the 40, other was for the 40 itself. I used to have two 40s flanking my propane heater. Current USA 4ft 2 bulb and a AquaticLife 3ft 2 bulb. I rarely ad anything, if I do it's "Plant Zone" love the stuff. Also have a fancy powder mix I add to water to dose and Root Tabs as well as Rabbit droppings for in the substrate.
Usually just my Well water is needed.

Black Sand Blasting Grit/sand, Fluval 205 & Fluval 305. Marineland heater or HOB heater.
Male Betta, two female Betta, male Opaline Gourami, Bamboo shrimp reaching 1yr, RCS, Green Cory cats, Oto cat, Clown Pleco & BN pleco pair.

Jungle Val, Crypts, Sword, Tiger Lilly, Salvinia, Hornwort, Subwassertang, mixed Moss, Rotala Indica, Nymph Taiwan, Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis and Aponogeton Ulvaceus
- Which attempted to grow this summer, but the other plants swamped it out. It's been growing and returning to dormancy for several seasons now. A true stunner.

What it looks like when it needs to share it's plants in a ROAK.
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
i ran two gallon jugs and two 2 liter bottles together of co2 brew for a while, but after a few days of missed maintenance floaters choked the surface and i think i gassed a lot of neons and guppies... =[ so for now, its running low tech with a canister, heater, and powerhead/pump with prefilter pointed upwards to roll water up to the surface.

and thanks for the compliment.. i do feel like i should gut it and dirt it, however.. growth isn't as stable as it is in a few of my other tanks...
That's quite a bit of co2 you had going there! May have just been too much co2 for one tank this size, hard to say!

If you do decide to gut it and go the dirt route, definitely post some pics! And even post a link to a thread for it
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
Lights on it are my only 'high tech' and pricey thing. One light was for my 4ft tank, but I moved it onto the 40, other was for the 40 itself. I used to have two 40s flanking my propane heater. Current USA 4ft 2 bulb and a AquaticLife 3ft 2 bulb. I rarely ad anything, if I do it's "Plant Zone" love the stuff. Also have a fancy powder mix I add to water to dose and Root Tabs as well as Rabbit droppings for in the substrate.
Usually just my Well water is needed.

Black Sand Blasting Grit/sand, Fluval 205 & Fluval 305. Marineland heater or HOB heater.
Male Betta, two female Betta, male Opaline Gourami, Bamboo shrimp reaching 1yr, RCS, Green Cory cats, Oto cat, Clown Pleco & BN pleco pair.

Jungle Val, Crypts, Sword, Tiger Lilly, Salvinia, Hornwort, Subwassertang, mixed Moss, Rotala Indica, Nymph Taiwan, Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis and Aponogeton Ulvaceus
- Which attempted to grow this summer, but the other plants swamped it out. It's been growing and returning to dormancy for several seasons now. A true stunner.

What it looks like when it needs to share it's plants in a ROAK.

Thanks for the additional details! How do you like the Ottos? I'm planning to have some in mine. Want a school of harlequin rasboras, school of cardinal tetras, some ottos, 2 GBRs, and maybe MAYBE a pair of angels if I think I can get away with it.
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

And wow, that is definitely a densely planted tank! lol
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

This is mine. Still working on it.
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That's quite a bit of co2 you had going there! May have just been too much co2 for one tank this size, hard to say!

If you do decide to gut it and go the dirt route, definitely post some pics! And even post a link to a thread for it
I've been tempted to start a journal for all my tanks... one of these days... i'll grab a brew and start the project...
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Crob- The openness of that scape is pretty nice! Really lets you see the fish, and I'll definitely check the thread you mentioned! Think you can get pics of the DIY stand? Would love to see what ya made. I think if the canopy matches the stand, that always looks nice!

Danakin- Checking sig link...

speedie- all I can say is wow. That is awesome! I am still deciding on flora for mine... I'll check out your link for specs! That is really a piece of art ya had going there.

Thanks everyone for getting this going! Keep em coming
Thanks
The plants have definitely filled in out but it's still pretty open. I only have about 2 yrs experience with planted tanks but about 15 yrs on and off with aquariums.

I'll post some pics of the tank stand and the canopy ( should be done over Xmas with my 10 gal Sump/Refugium project)
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yea, my tanks like to be jungles, I love plants.
Otos are great, sensitive when you first get them. Mine were breeding for awhile, but then things got weird in another tank and now I just have the one. But at $3 each and being iffy at first, I'm waiting to find some for $1 instead.

I had three Angels growing out in there until last week.
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nelsontreyjones- I like the "spire" look of the driftwood in there. Keep up the good work, once things grow in more it's going to look even better!
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
Yea, my tanks like to be jungles, I love plants.
Otos are great, sensitive when you first get them. Mine were breeding for awhile, but then things got weird in another tank and now I just have the one. But at $3 each and being iffy at first, I'm waiting to find some for $1 instead.

I had three Angels growing out in there until last week.
I've heard ottos can be sensitive, mostly because they are wild caught right? Not typically captive bread?
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Planted Member

only thing I really dont like about the 40 gal B is the glass lid is so heavy anyone else noticed that? I noticed Nelsontreyjones has the same one I have
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

i disagree with everyone that just posted their tanks in this thread. 3 dome lights with cfl's. WIN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode