Well, I had a 20 gallon tank about 10 years ago. We had Endler's Livebearers, Clown Loaches, and other small fish. Over time I added a few live plants - Java ferns and anacharis, mostly. Then we moved down to Florida from Chicago and gave the tank away. In the meantime, we've had a betta, but that only lasted about 2 years.
Now that my kids are big enough (3 and 5), I've been itching for a bigger a new tank. So here it is, 4 days into a fishless cycle:
(The kids did the background.)
Lighting - 18W X 2 T5HO
2-3 inches of Gravel w/ 25 %fluorite
The plants, so are are the easiest most basic I could find:
- java Fern - Microsorium pteropus, a couple of different kinds, I think.
- Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘green’, tiny, on the left
- Anubias nana, 3 on the right
- Water Onion - Crinum thaianum, just 1 as an experiment.
- Water Wisteria - Hygrophila difformis, 4 in the back
I want to get some floating plants too, since it is a tall tank, and some java moss. Not sure after that.
I don't want to do CO2, but may wind up using Flourish Excel. I specifically avoided vals and anacharis, just in case (I'm hoping someone can advise about the Water Onion and sensitivity to Excel).
So that's it. I'll probably post another pic after we get some fish.