Hi im new here, this is a journal rescaping my previously set up tank and neglected scape.
Im looking at going towards a semi-dutch scape. Lots of plant species in groupings and streets. Less focus on hardscape - thus I'm lowering the height of my hardscape, and removing some of the bulk. I find it is difficult to plant densly when there are buried rocks blocking planting space.
I really like the feel of this tank. Lots of thick, bushy, healthy plants. Its also planted in a similar shape as what im after as my tank will be viewable from 1 side and the front. It is also using a similar number of plants and colours as I am hoping to have.
Im hoping that once my plants grow in my driftwood will look a bit like this scape. Very soft and not over powering.
I have made a few adjustments to hardware
- No more LEDs
They make plant colours less vibrant
Speed of growth isnt fantastic
- Re-plumbed filtration
Used less piping to make water flow more direct
Tank: ADA size - 90cmx45cmx45cm 10mm glass
Cabinet: ADA Style - Black polyurethane painted - 80cm tall
ATI Sunpower 6x39w Dimmable unit
3 Giesemann Midday
2 Giesemann Aquaflora
ATI Purple Plus
Cade Light stand
Filter: Fluval G3
Cade Lily pipe set
Here's the filter I will be using. Ill be replacing the grey hosing with clear. I will also be using an additional external pump to combat loss of flow rate due to the inline reactor.
CADE lily pipe set to go with this (unfortunately will have to use a stainless steel strainer on the intake to avoid losing any little shrimplets):
Additional inline pump: Hydor Seltz L30
Heater: Hydor ETH 300watt inline heater
Aquamedic regulator and solenoid
Sera flore CO2 pressure diffuser
4.5kg CO2 bottle. I will also be using the sera inline diffuser:
MarineColour MC-03-S 4 channel control unit with MC-03-M 4 channel extension unit
Dry Fertilizers for EI dosing
6x Dosing Chambers
Here are the dosing pumps I will be using. There are a total of 6 programmable channels.
There is also a 6x tube holder that will connect the tubes from the dosing pumps to the tank.
I am going to be doing using the EI method.
There is around 750g-1kg of each dry fertilizer. I believer it is important to keep them well labeled and air tight, so I have placed them in plastic containers.
I have purchased 2l of dino spit and 50small dino dung pellets.
2x ADA NEW 9l Normal Amazonia
1x ADA NEW 9l Powder Amazonia
1x ADA 6l Powersand Special-M
1x ADA Penac-P 200g (Plants)
ADA Tourmaline F 250g
Acrylic divider with suction caps
Soil layout plan:
Here's the steps on how I laid out my aquasoil initially;
Although I have made a few adjustments to this second scape
- thinner line of soil at the front and side of the tank
- blended the powder ADA further into the normal ADA for a more natural look and easier planting.
I laid out my substrate line creating the overall curve of the tank. I used suction caps with acrylic sheet (3cm x 2mm) slotted in. I worked on the shape I wanted for quite some time.
I carefully filled in the ADA powder using a scoop. I poured it towards the glass so as not to put too much pressure on the divider.
I carefully kept filling until the powder was approximately a few mm from the top of the divider. I had a little bit escape under the divider but not enough to cause me any concern.
Next was to add the powders; penac p, penac w and touramaline bc.
One whole container of touramaline bc was added
Then the penac w (10 scoops)
And the penac p (10 scoops)
The powders were then pushed away from the edge of the tank, about 1cm.
I then added the powersand using a scoop. I didn't quite use a whole bag.
This was also pushed away from the edge of the tank, about 1cm.
To keep the powersand and aquasoil from mixing, mesh was added over the top and cut to size.
I then added the ADA normal using a scoop. Only one bag initially until my hard scape was done.
I blended the boarder between the two soils and covered the acrylic divider.
Took about an hour. There's still quite a bit of space to be filled in as not all the plants I ordered arrived.
The tank is still a bit cloudy unfortunately, i have added some accu-clear but the cloudiness remains.
My ATI sunpower light unit and cade stand has not arrived yet, so I'm using an old tank hood with 4 T5HO globes.
7 days since planting
Plants still adjusting a bit, not too much growth.