20L cardinal / RCS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

20L cardinal / RCS

It's been a long time since I've been in the aquarium hobby. But I realized how much I miss having aquatic plants, so last month I finally decided to get back into it. I went out and bought a 20L aquarium and a 38W T5 lighting system. First picture here was 10/21/2012 a few days after my initial setup. The plants are tied down onto the drift wood, and I think there were 8 cardinal tetras in there.

I wasn't happy with the java ferns in the middle left because they look too messy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2193.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	57514  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

This picture was taken today, 11/20/2012. Right now I have 7 cardinals in there. One mysteriously disappeared last week.

I added a breeder net with some juvenile red cherry shrimps and I am waiting for them to start breeding before moving any into the main tank. I am going to keep the breeder net for a while for small shrimps, at least until the ground cover grows in and the baby RCS have places to hide from the cardinals.

Since the last picture was taken I've had to deal with a bunch of crap. I had an ick outbreak a while back that I treated with heat and salt. It worked, but the plants did not do well. The cryptocoryne lucens in the front left corner did especially poorly and I'm not sure if it's going to make it. The microsword in the front right also has not done so well either, and neither has the bronze crypt wendtii. The java ferns didn't seem to do so well either, with some of the leaves melting away pretty badly, and others getting covered in algae. But the echindorus sword, the corkscrew vals, the anubias and the christmas moss didn't seem to mind.

I've pruned down some of the java ferns. I'm still not happy with their appearance but I really like the small bushy bunch in the middle. The lace javas just look really messy, I may just get rid of them entirely.

I'm fighting a battle against algae at the moment too ... There has been a fair amount of blue-green algae on the large piece of driftwood on the right, diatoms on the glass and a bunch of brown algae on the leaves. The java ferns were being hit pretty hard so I trimmed all the leaves that looked like they were at all dying. The anubias seem to be doing OK but there is some yellowing around the edges of the leaves. I'm doing 25% water changes every day or two as a measure against the algae, and I also started using a bit of API CO2 booster, which I hear is supposed to inhibit algae growth but I am a bit concerned about the shrimp. So I'm only using a half dose of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2200.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	57515  

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice little setup, I'm guessing the algae outbreak could be because of too much light on your tank.

temporary tanks for the time being...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Opae Ula Crazed.

The brown algae sounds more like diatoms to me.

Common in new tanks, frequently leaves on it's own. Otocincus (?) will help clean it up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Do you have any suggestions on what to do about too much light? I mean aside from the obvious answer of getting a new lighting system
I thought with 38 W for a 20G tank would be 2WPG which is moderate light.

Since I'm out of town for the holiday weekend I covered the tank for a total blackout so I hope when I come back the blue-green algae at least will be gone. That stuff spreads really fast.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyRocket View Post
Do you have any suggestions on what to do about too much light? I mean aside from the obvious answer of getting a new lighting system
I thought with 38 W for a 20G tank would be 2WPG which is moderate light.

Since I'm out of town for the holiday weekend I covered the tank for a total blackout so I hope when I come back the blue-green algae at least will be gone. That stuff spreads really fast.
It's T5 lighting though, brighter than normal bulbs. I had the same issue in my 20H, so I swapped for bulbs with less wattage. I think I now have 2 14W 6,700.

temporary tanks for the time being...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I agree with alipper. I have always like the footprint of the 20L

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode