The Planted Tank Forum banner

20g long "The Root Beginning"

25K views 145 replies 38 participants last post by  marioman72 
#1 · (Edited)
hey everyone! , so im from RI and just started to become active on the forum and wanted to finally start a thread for my tanks now that im getting back into the scene. my 20g has been up and running for a couple of years now but with in the past few months have been really getting into the whole aquascaping stuff.

i just got my new 10g thats derimmed, started up tonight and hope to have a nice and planned out arrangement. on the hunt for plants right now probably going to try buying from other members on the forum any suggestions on what to look for would be great new to buying from forums. tomorrow ill have some pics of the start

20g L update 12/14/12

_DSC6288 by marioman72, on Flickr

2/4/13

_DSC6646 by marioman72, on Flickr

3/16/13

_DSC7052 by marioman72, on Flickr

so far heres what i have in my 20g:

Plants:
ludwigia repens
rotala wallichii
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
crypt wendtii brown and green
E. tenellus
rotala corlata
lilaeopsis brasiliensis
glossostigma
hydrocotle sib.

Funa:
cardinal tetras
amano shrimp
bazzilion cherry shrimp
tangerine tiger shrimp

Equipment and ferts:
marineland C-160 filter
coralife 24" 18wx2 on 10 hours a day
diy co2
fluorite and eco-complete with root tabs
i dose some excel, and pfretz every day

any input would be great thanks!

TANK failed and CRACKED 10g update: 12/12/2012

_DSC6276 by marioman72, on Flickr

last picture before its death 2/4/13

_DSC6645 by marioman72, on Flickr
Plants:
HC
hydrocotle sib.
Eleocharis acicularis
limnophilia aromatica
fissdens

Equipment and ferts:
fluval plant/shrimp stratum with root tabs
24w coralife 18" light
DIY co2 with fluval disk diffuser
pfertz, excel daily dosages

Funa:
10 maculata rasboras
12 wild green neons
6 otos
6 amano shrimp
15 PFR shrimp
5 pigmy cories

See less See more
#2 ·
#8 ·
heres an update of my progress on the 10g!

laid down the fluval stratus and set up the ehiem 2211 in place.

IMAG0129 by marioman72, on Flickr

went rock hunting in Newport RI on the beach got some nice green rocks pretty sure its an amethyst mixture witch makes it green and purple colors that r all in the rocks around this area. but laid out the rock scape and put my coralife light fixture on top

IMAG0131 by marioman72, on Flickr

finally got it just right and a few snails tagged along in the bucket

IMAG0133 by marioman72, on Flickr

ordered a could of plants from some members on here should be coming in on sat or Sunday
Plant list:
downui
ludwigia. Inclinata cuba
Hydrocotyle Tripartita
limnophila aromatica

plan to get some DHG or micro sword still debating

#11 ·
That driftwood and scaping is awesome, looks a lot bigger than it is. Whats the substrate on that tank? Aqua soil with gravel? Almost looks like florite.

Interesting lighting setup too, I have the same light and tank.

Looks like an aqueon duel t5 fixture(at least thats what I have). What type of clamps are those? Been thinking of ways to spread the light out more evenly over the tank and that could work for me considering I think I have the same lighting.

Edit: Looks like its a coral life actually so not what I have, same design though. The bars coming out of the side seem a bit flimsy so I'd be iffy about just seating them on some clamps D:

#12 ·
the substrate is eco complete mixed in with fluorite with a little play sand sprinkled on the top haha, but the flimsy bars i didnt think were going to hold it sold enough but somehow it seats like the clamps were made for it. it actually takes a little effort to pull the light off of how it sits. i use to have the light just resting on top but like you said i wanted to spread the light source out a little bit so i came up with this cheap solution can get the clamps at the hardware store for a couple bucks super easy.

#13 ·
I might just have to do that and try that out. Cheaper than buying a fixture to mount it somehow. Been looking for a simple solution for that for a while.

Lately I can only find quad t5 lighting for 10g tanks which is kind of ridiculous for a no co2 medium light plant setup. Guess 2 5200k cfl lights is good enough for now.

Anyway, don't mean to derail the thread :p Nice tanks!

Edit: Just realizing my questions were already answered earlier in the post. :D

#14 ·
oh yea that would be over kill haha, but try it out a couple bucks dosnt hurt if u can find some cheap ones.

but thanks! excited to finally get this 10 going with plants, once my other stuff fills in in the 20g ill probably transfer some crypts and chain sword into the ten to get it going. and im going to build my DIY co2 tomorrow hopefully

#18 ·
#31 ·
not sure exactly what kind this is

IMAG0136 by marioman72, on Flickr

that is an anubias barteri, i cant tell if its a 'nana' or 'petite' the petite will be alot smaller then the nana.

great tanks! they both are great, especially that 20 long! are you running co2 on it?

#21 ·
where u from ?

I was going to say I used to live somewhat close to Newport, so I know what the green/purple tones of the rocks look like (pretty cool). The 20g setup is amazing, and 10g is coming along nicely. Keep it up mario
yea its pretty crazy the colors over there, and thanks a bunch! hoping to keep at it

#27 ·
plants came in today, thanks bartohog and flyfishrman!

plant list:
downoi
Ludwigia Inclinata Cuba
Hydrocotyle Tripartita
limnophila aromatica
micro sword
Anubias barteri 'Nana'

IMAG0141 by marioman72, on Flickr

got everything all separated out and planted, and the co2 finally started to bubble quite a bit! things r starting to move along smoothly.

IMAG0143 by marioman72, on Flickr

IMAG0145 by marioman72, on Flickr

IMAG0149 by marioman72, on Flickr

IMAG0148 by marioman72, on Flickr

hydro trips hopefully will carpet nice

IMAG0147 by marioman72, on Flickr

dounoi

IMAG0146 by marioman72, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.