Unzan 75-P - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,703
Wow.

I have never seen an HC carpet come in that fast and easily.

How much of your rapid transition and growth would you attribute to the tissue cultured plants?
madness is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Wow.

I have never seen an HC carpet come in that fast and easily.

How much of your rapid transition and growth would you attribute to the tissue cultured plants?
To be honest I'm not really sure. I've never grown anything in this tank at all so I'm not sure how much is the set up and how much is the TC. I have to say thought I'm extremely surprised how fast everything is growing. From what I've been told this is a characteristic of TC plants.
davidj12 is offline  
post #93 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,703
Yeah, I have heard that easy transition (lack of 'melting') is one of the primary benefits of TC plants.

My guess is that even with a perfect set-up you would not have seen this kind of immediate growth with anything but the best plants pulled from another tank.

I think this thread will motivate me to try out some TC plants.
madness is offline  
post #94 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,748
Very nice growth!

Reminds me of the ADA gallery set-ups, planted well/heavily and they fill in pretty quickly, not sure if they use TC plants.
I am guessing it is a combination of factors, but not surprised the ADA method is working well in unison.
Green_Flash is offline  
post #95 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Yeah, I have heard that easy transition (lack of 'melting') is one of the primary benefits of TC plants.

My guess is that even with a perfect set-up you would not have seen this kind of immediate growth with anything but the best plants pulled from another tank.

I think this thread will motivate me to try out some TC plants.
You should! They are a bit more $$ then regular plants but I feel that the plant mass is a lot greater in one cup of TC plants than in a pot of normal plants. The other benefit it the plants were in really good shape. I'm a little disappointed with the quality of plants at most if not all of the LFS I have been to. Wish they would keep TC plants in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Very nice growth!

Reminds me of the ADA gallery set-ups, planted well/heavily and they fill in pretty quickly, not sure if they use TC plants.
I am guessing it is a combination of factors, but not surprised the ADA method is working well in unison.
I don't think it's as good as some of their set up but I try I really think it is the fact that it was heavily planted to begin with. In my previous tank I had no plan and no idea what I was doing so I planted light. That was a big mistake because I think it would have solved some of my problems. It's still early so I hope I'm not jinx myself.
davidj12 is offline  
post #96 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Just got some new things

Boxes for my dry ferts, GH booster, and baking soda. Found them at the container store. They were a great price!



Decided to get some vessels for mixing and such. Found these on Amazon Lab supplies.

davidj12 is offline  
post #97 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Did a trim today on the foreground plants. Still not sure when to trim the stem plants. Do you think I should let them grow some more?



Top Down



Rotala



MM



Hair Grass



HC

davidj12 is offline  
post #98 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 785
That is some amazing growth! I like how there's a path insinuated between the middle of the stones.

I think I missed it... what fauna are you looking at adding?


my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline  
post #99 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
That is some amazing growth! I like how there's a path insinuated between the middle of the stones.

I think I missed it... what fauna are you looking at adding?

thanks!!


I'm planning on:

Amano Shrimp
OTO
Cardinal Tetra
Cherry Barb
davidj12 is offline  
post #100 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pearland, TX USA
Posts: 67
Looking great, looks like those ADA tanks on their YouTube Channel.
OKnights112 is offline  
post #101 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bluestems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj12 View Post
thanks!!


I'm planning on:

Amano Shrimp
OTO
Cardinal Tetra
Cherry Barb
Nice! I have amano shrimp currently... love them!


my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline  
post #102 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Oh and one last thing. The WeMo adjusted itself for daylight savings, I did not even have to do anything!
davidj12 is offline  
post #103 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,748
Talking

Ha, nice!

Is that pretty close to what the color temp looks like in real life for the NAMH bulb? I like the slight green hue in the pictures.

For trimming the stems, I have read in Aqua Journal, to trim once they reach the waters surface. The series of YouTube ADA View videos (search "ADA LED" ) has tank setup and initial work and trimming up until livestock is added. They might be in Japanese, but the videos are pretty self explanatory when you watch it.
Green_Flash is offline  
post #104 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Planted Member
 
iter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 207
Wow!!!

The growth is even denser than the wabi-kusa planted tanks in the ADA gallery!!!

TC plants are now my next interests .

高校のアクアスケーハーです - Flickr Albums
iter is offline  
post #105 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Unzan 75-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Ha, nice!

Is that pretty close to what the color temp looks like in real life for the NAMH bulb? I like the slight green hue in the pictures.

For trimming the stems, I have read in Aqua Journal, to trim once they reach the waters surface. The series of YouTube ADA View videos (search "ADA LED" ) has tank setup and initial work and trimming up until livestock is added. They might be in Japanese, but the videos are pretty self explanatory when you watch it.
Unfortunately I only have my iPhone to take pictures with and that's why they are a little crappy. I think the colors on my photos are a bit dark. Would really love a new camera to take pictures with but that is not in the cards right now.


I've seen the article you are talking about. I guess I'll try that out. I'll have a lot of stems to sell when I trim them down .
davidj12 is offline  
Reply

Tags
75p, ada, unzan

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome