Unzan 75-P - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: With the fish....
Posts: 234
Re: Dave's 75-P

For some reason my small unzan stone floats and actually turned over. It seems they are quite buoyant.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
While Planting I noticed how much was really in the TC cups. It is quite deceptive. Looks like not much but I just kept on going to one cup and planting and planting and planting. There is really quite a bit of plant mass in each cup although it looks like not much. The only weird thing is the way the roots grow. It is completely different than a plant in rock wool. The plant grows in a kind of nest looking thing and the roots are only a few mm long.


HC




Inside the cup




Attempting to wash the black goo out of the plants




Planting after three cups




DHG




The MM looked kind of weird. I'm interested to see how it grows out.




So it was getting late by this point and I forgot to take pictures of the other two plants sorry.


I realized that equilibrium sucks soooo bad. I had to mix some up to re-constitute my RO water and it made the tank cloudy for the rest of the night. It also did not mix well and some of it is still on the bottom of my tank





Next morning

davidj12 is offline  
post #48 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
assasin6547's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Richardson, Tx
Posts: 766
Send a message via Skype™ to assasin6547
Looking awesome, I can't wait to see the plants grow in!

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
assasin6547 is offline  
post #49 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
For some reason my small unzan stone floats and actually turned over. It seems they are quite buoyant.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Wow that is super weird. Since they are lava stone I know that they have bubbles in them. Maybe you stone has a giant bubble in it? It's a shame you can't use it. Mine are staying down fine so far.
davidj12 is offline  
post #50 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: With the fish....
Posts: 234
Re: Dave's 75-P

Idk, its staying now but it gave me a good bit of trouble for sure lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline  
post #51 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
I use Seachem Equilibirum as well....it definitely does not mix well but it should be gone by tomorrow. The bigger chunks usually stay in my tank for 1-2 days.
hedge_fund is offline  
post #52 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: dfw
Posts: 33
nice, I like the stone.
izit is offline  
post #53 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,748
great planting job
Green_Flash is offline  
post #54 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
After first water change.

All the plants have been pearling like crazy

Ammonia : 4ppm
GH: 10
KH: 4

davidj12 is offline  
post #55 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj12 View Post
I realized that equilibrium sucks soooo bad. I had to mix some up to re-constitute my RO water and it made the tank cloudy for the rest of the night. It also did not mix well and some of it is still on the bottom of my tank





Next morning


Give Aquavitro Mineralize a try. I've started using it instead of Equilibrium because I don't like waiting for the cloudiness to clear. It's a liquid hence no clouding. It doesn't contain any potassium like Equilibrium though. So you'll need another source for that if it's important to you.
Jeff5614 is offline  
post #56 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,404
Dave's 75-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Give Aquavitro Mineralize a try. I've started using it instead of Equilibrium because I don't like waiting for the cloudiness to clear. It's a liquid hence no clouding. It doesn't contain any potassium like Equilibrium though so you'll need another source for that if it's important to you.
So it's just calcium and magnesium? I might look into this as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hedge_fund is offline  
post #57 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Jeff5614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
So it's just calcium and magnesium? I might look into this as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, here's a link to Seachem's site and a couple of other to links to discussions from the Seachem forum on APC.

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/mineralize.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...questions.html
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...uilibrium.html
Jeff5614 is offline  
post #58 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Something kind of weird is going on with my drop checker. Yesterday it took FOREVER to turn green. Like not until 5-6 hrs of blasting C02. When I woke up this morning it was still green... The C02 had been off all night... In my other tank it turns back blue over night.

To add another part to this I had to change the water this morning because I won't have time tonight. With all the aeration (my water filter takes forever to make up the 10gal I changed) going on for a few hrs I thought it would change but it's still green.... not quite sure what to make of this.

Now the C02 is back on and its just barely turning back blue.
davidj12 is offline  
post #59 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: With the fish....
Posts: 234
Re: Dave's 75-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj12 View Post
Something kind of weird is going on with my drop checker. Yesterday it took FOREVER to turn green. Like not until 5-6 hrs of blasting C02. When I woke up this morning it was still green... The C02 had been off all night... In my other tank it turns back blue over night.

To add another part to this I had to change the water this morning because I won't have time tonight. With all the aeration (my water filter takes forever to make up the 10gal I changed) going on for a few hrs I thought it would change but it's still green.... not quite sure what to make of this.

Now the C02 is back on and its just barely turning back blue.
Thats why I dont use them lol. Just keep plants pearling and your fine. If fish are at surface back off a little.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline  
post #60 of 171 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
davidj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 146
Quick update

Just thought I'd post a quick update. All the plants are really taking off. The rotala and MM have grown considerably in the last few days.





When I got the MM it was really small and bushy looking. It's really starting to grow like crazy!

davidj12 is offline  
Reply

Tags
75p, ada, unzan

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome