This is my first ever planted tank. It has been a fun and challenging experience but having a planted tank is also one of the most rewarding hobby that I have ever got into.
Aqueon 10 Gallon
AquaClear AC 30 with Fluval Pre-filter at the intake
Aquatek Mini CO2 Regulator w/ solenoid valve attached to a 12 Oz Paintball Tank
Finnex Ray II DD 18" LED Fixture
Finnex Breeder Box with 6" FugeRay
Generic Ceramic Bar Diffuser
General Bubble Counter with check valve
Fluval Stratum Substrate @ 2.5 to 3 inch
Stanley and Westek Digital Timers plugged into a Belkin Multimedia Power Strip
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Dwarf Baby Tears
Crypt Wendtii Green
Red Root Floater
Water Lettuce (Tiny and came with the duckweed)
Anubias Nana Petite
Anubias (can't remember which one)
3 Unknown stem plants.
Seachem Trace dosing 2.5 ml 3x week
Seachem Flourish (Dosing stopped)
Seachem Potassium, Phosphorus and Nitrogen (Dosing done)
Seachem Iron - dosing @ 1.5 ml 3x week
Potassium Sulfate - diluted as 10ml dose x 64 doses for 3x week.
Mono Potassium Phosphate - diluted as 10ml dose x 64 doses for 3x week.
Potassium Nitrate - not yet started dosing since Nitrates are fluctuating @ 20-30 ppm.
GH Booster @ 1 1/2 tsp once a week
Galaxy Rasbora - main fish
Bristlenose Pleco @ 2 inch
Otocinclus Catfish @ 2 inch and 1.5 inch
Salt and Pepper Cory
Baby Blue Betta (Don't know which one. This is my daughter's fish)
This is how empty the tank was when I first started out. I got the mopani driftwood at Petco and thought it would be an awesome piece in my tank. I had a vision of some moss growing on the right side of the driftwood when I first got it. After some research and a golf sized chunk of what I thought was java moss, I was able to successfully attach the moss to the desired area. I was a bit conservative when wrapping the thread around the moss thinking I was going to hurt the plant that is why it looked like some parts of it were coming of.
The 4 Crypts are still small in this image and they are still in the tank. The java fern on the right was moved to the center of the tank right behind the driftwood.
My lightning at this time was 2 20 inch Aqueon light fixtures with 18" T8 Hagen Power-GLO. The black thing on the top right of the tank was my 1 gallon submerged filter pump being used as a CO2 Reactor. I also started with the DIY CO2 using 2 litre bottles.
Second Month - Dwarf Baby Tears and more plants
Below is a photo of the tank 1 week after planting the dwarf baby tears and some plants I got from aquariumplants.com. I was so concerned about the dwarf baby tears that I did not even bother to check how to plant the glossostigma so it ended up being some kind of shrub at the front of the tank. I did like how it turned out and the shrimps loved it too. At this point I got rid of the Power-GLO lights and replaced it with a Flora-GLO and Life-GLO T8 bulbs.
After almost 4 months
Photo of the top of the tank showing the breeder box at the back
Photo of the tank from the left side