The Planted Tank Forum banner

George's 33G

18K views 85 replies 31 participants last post by  George 
#1 · (Edited)
I know it's not generally accepted to keep Discus single but after some research and feedback from various sources I decided to take the plunge.

The tank is 33 Gallon, 20" tall. pH 6.5, KH 3, GH 6, NO3 15ppm (dosed), PO4 1ppm (dosed), CO2 30ppm. 50% weekly water change RO/CBR filtered tap 50:50 mix.

Fish - 4 inch juvenile Red Marlboro Discus, 28 Cardinal tetra, 4 Otos, 8 Amano shrimp.

Plants - Microsorium pteropus on bogwood, Sagittaria platyphylla, Crinum calistratium.

Lighting - 2 WPG HO T8 (4 x 18W)

Substrate - Dennerle Deponit, black quartz, 25W heater cable.

Ferts - KNO3, KH2PO4, Dennerle range (S7, E15, V30)

CO2 - 2 x Nutrafin (soon to be pressurized).

Long-term plans include pH controller for pressurized CO2. T5 lighting and changing foreground planting to Hemianthus callitrichoides.

See less See more
#27 ·
George said:
Sagittaria platyphylla - a brute! Needs thinning by around a third every two weeks.

I'm going to replace most of it with glosso me thinks! :icon_wink

How's your 187 going?
i like it looks really nice.
Well i have move the tank so am restarting it only has water in it atm, sold most of my old plants well update my threads when i start to do some stuff.

but i love ya setup truely amazing

#30 ·
A couple of recent pics.

I’m tempted to add some more similar plants to the left of the fern i.e. Cryptocoryne retrospiralis or balansae, or maybe more of the same Crinum.

I’m still unsure how to plant my foreground. I’m thinking about leaving an open space in front of the fern/between woods. I like to see a little open space sometimes in a layout and it may look quite effective. As for planting in front of the Sagittaria platyphylla – I’m still deciding. Glosso, HC, hairgrass or possibly even E tennelus, or a combo. HC is very tempting as it is very low maintenance; however it is also notoriously hard to get established. Glosso looks great but is very invasive and I’m not sure about lighting (2.1 WPG currently). I’ve had success with hairgrass before and I’m sure it would look good but I fancy trying something new. The same with the tennelus, and it is similar in texture to the sag (whether or not that’s a bad thing, I’m not certain). Anyway, you understand my dilemma – any input welcome.

#31 ·
Two other foreground plants come to mind for me, "ranalisma rostrata" and "Elatine Triandra (aka Ah Pek's Plant or APP)".

Ranalisma is a grassy plant with appearence similar to e. tenellus, but grows much shorter.

Elatine triandra is a creeping stem similar to glosso and HC, but has a speed somewhere between the two. Its leaves are similar in size to glosso, but are shaped like long triangles. It doesn't need as much light as glosso either. On the other hand . . . it can melt, isn't easy to transport (it has almost no nutrition reserves) and once established it lays out seeds you'll never get rid of. Also, it's not as easy to plant as glosso and can't easily be cut up into plantlets.

#33 ·
Latest pic.

I've just planted the Glosso. I've increased my lighting from 2 to 3 WPG and photoperiod from 10 to 12 hours in an attempt to get the Glosso established. I imagine my dark substrate won't help and my tank is 20" high. I'm hopeful though.

#34 ·
I'm always amazed when I see the quality of your foliage. That java fern is beautiful.
Gonna look amazing when the glosso spreads out.

:proud:

#37 ·
Nice tank, George.
Good change too. In the "old" layout there were to many "grassy" leaves, I guess.
The small round leaves of the Glosso wil make a nice contrast to the leaves of the Javafern.
Mmm, also I would trimm some lower leaves of the Javafern so the Anubias will show better.
Always beware of the fact that a ( but in this case very beautifull : please send it to me... :wink: ) javafern can grow too big and dominate the scene too much.

Gr. PJAN

#39 ·
Thanks everyone.

timr- the Discus isn't very happy if I'm honest. I feel bad about it and realise my selfishness was foolhardy. I will take him back to my LFS where he should be happier.

Algae shouldn't be an issue. I'm keeping a close eye N and P uptake rates and dosing accordingly. CO2 is stable at 35ppm. I've ran near 4 WPG for 12 hours without problem before now.

PJAN - Thanks for the tips. I am massive fan of your work and your reply has made my day! All the best for the AGA contest. :proud:

#41 ·
StUk_In_AfRiKa said:
Wow the tank looks great! Why are you opting to return Digweed instead of getting him a buddy? He's one of the most gorgeous discus I've seen... it would be a shame to see him go (even though he always seems to be hiding in the tank shots) :p
I don't have buddies with suitable tanks unfortunately.

#42 ·
The tank and the way you photographed it look very nice indeed.

the Discus isn't very happy if I'm honest. I feel bad about it and realise my selfishness was foolhardy. I will take him back to my LFS where he should be happier.
Always a bummer to find out something won't work. Before I saw your comment I was going to mention from the previous pics in the last page that it wasn't looking very well at all. I've learned that Discus are one of those fish that when someone says "well they shouldn't be kept alone" they really mean it. Unless kept with Angelfish they really, *really* cannot tolerate being without a school. I've had some success quarantining ours with Angels, but after trying to keep one by itself once I'll never try it again.

3 Altum angels would looks quite good in that tank, IMO. :)

#44 ·
Desolas said:
The tank and the way you photographed it look very nice indeed.

Always a bummer to find out something won't work. Before I saw your comment I was going to mention from the previous pics in the last page that it wasn't looking very well at all. I've learned that Discus are one of those fish that when someone says "well they shouldn't be kept alone" they really mean it. Unless kept with Angelfish they really, *really* cannot tolerate being without a school. I've had some success quarantining ours with Angels, but after trying to keep one by itself once I'll never try it again.

3 Altum angels would looks quite good in that tank, IMO. :)
33G is far too small for Altums, even though it is 20" H. I had a breeding pair of scalares in there a while back and they outgrew it.

The Discus has been re-homed and I'm just sticking to my Cardinals and algae crew.

#48 ·
Very good George !

My remark :
The look of the long leaved Javafern is somewhat duplicated by the lobg leaves of the Sagg's.
I tried to imagine if the Sagg's were replaced by a small piece of wood with a few Anubias on it. Maybe a round leave will have more impact and will give the Javavern more credit.
I am just thinking... you're tank is worth it !
Great pictures !

Gr. PJAN

#49 ·
Overfloater said:
This tank looks very promising and your photography is top notch. I only wish that I could take such striking pictures. What type of setup are you using?
Thanks.

My camera is a very basic 2 Megapixel (Olympus D-230) and is ancient by today's standards. My technique matches the simplicity of the camera.

1. Ensure the room is darknened with all tank lights on.
2. Use the highest quality setting (SHQ).
3. Set the white balance to Flourescent Lighting mode.
4. Adjust the exposure to acheive max. contrast without overexposure (-1.5).
5. Turn off flash.
6. Point and press!

#50 ·
PJAN said:
Very good George !

My remark :
The look of the long leaved Javafern is somewhat duplicated by the lobg leaves of the Sagg's.
I tried to imagine if the Sagg's were replaced by a small piece of wood with a few Anubias on it. Maybe a round leave will have more impact and will give the Javavern more credit.
I am just thinking... you're tank is worth it !
Great pictures !

Gr. PJAN
Your input is greatly appreciated PJAN, thank you.

Congrats again for your recent accolade, your entry was my personal "Best of Show".

#51 ·
Hi George,

Just a quick Q.

I noticed from another of your posts that you have the external filter outlet and inlet tubes inside your juwel internal filter box. My question is how do you prevent the external filter uptake pipe from sucking in water from your external filter output pipe? :confused:

Do you have the black juwel textured back ground in your tank?
Looks fantastic, well done.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.