The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ramen Lover's 6G GLA Rimless Low-Tech Iwagumi Style Nano Tank

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Couesfanatic 
#1 · (Edited)
Scroll down to see December 25, 2012 update
----------------------
Hi All- This is a work in progress. I'm pretty much done with my 55G.. just letting things mature and grow (see sig)

However, now I am addicted to tanks.. and a 55G is fun to put lots of fish in, but I wanted something smaller. My wife decided to let me get a nano tank and put it in the corner of the house. For awhile I was debating on whether or not to do co2 on my next tank. Kept going back and forth for awhile.. and it wasn't about cost.. just about time. with co2.. the plants will probably demand more.. and I'll have to use lots of fertilizers and do more maintenance. yes, I know this isn't true for all co2 tanks.. but from what I've seen co2 tanks are prettier, but often require more time/maintenance.

Anyways! on to my low-tech tank. I've been buying supplies to set it up for the past month or so. My Archaea LED light from AFA in San Francisco is coming this week, but then I'm going on vacation for about a week or so. Once I get back from vacation I'll be setting up and filling the tank.

Equipment Purchased:
-GLA 6 gallon rimless tank
-Eheim 2213 classic canister filter
-CalAqua nano lily pipes
-ADA garden mat
-Deep Blue Professional tank stand
-Archaea 30cm LED light (in transit from AFA in San Francisco)
-1 bag (20 lbs) of eco-complete
-10 lbs of Ohko (dragon) stone
-Non rusting stainless steel mesh (will be explained later)
-Small net and lily pipe cleaners

Planned fauna/flora
-Will be using the stainless steel mesh for moss patches in the tank
-Fissidens will be used for the moss
-Maybe some anubias petite or nana (prefer petite, but not sure if they are easy to grow? I have nana in my 55g and it is doing fine)
-Red Cherry Shrimp or Sakura shrimp.
-Maybe some Amano Shrimp
-2-3 nano fish.. not sure what yet. i have to do more research

Shot of the tank with stand (taken with iPhone):

Photo of the equipment I have purchased so far:

Photo of my Ohko stones (minimum order was 10 lbs. I'll probably use half of these):

----------------
10/29/2012 Update

Due to Hurricane Sandy.. I did not have work for the past two days. Decided to flood my tank. I will be on vacation next week, but will purchase some fissiden moss carpet and maybe some anubias petite for my tank.

Here it is today without plants. Just letting it cycle. I could use media from my 55G, but I am not in a real rush.

Full setup shot with Eheim in the cabinet:

Full tank shot:

Close up of the tank:

---------------------------------------
***December 8, 2012 update****

I re-arranged the stones as recommended awhile ago. Just never took a photo. I'm waiting for the plants to grow in more and creating a sort of mountain on the right.. and then at the bottom of the mountain on the left will be a field of fissidens.

Added in some RCS from my 55G tank (see sig for my other journal), and added in 3 Endlers that I got from the LFS a couple of weeks ago (they were in quarantine).

--------------------------------
December 25, 2012 Update!

^Added some male hybrid endlers to go with my other endlers (5 endlers total now). Also added 5 Galaxy Rasboras and RCS. Created a moss tree a few days ago and waiting for that to grow out.

^Shot of some of my Galaxy Rasboras and some of my Endlers

^Just a close-up of the tank.

See less See more
#13 ·
Slopes are my preference. They add more dimension. I don't think the positioning of the stones are bad. Perhaps you can try other arrangements (with pics) so you can have options that others can vote on to help you?

BTW, I want your lily pipes!

Are you getting an inline heater for your fauna?
If you do get some lily pipes, i recommend the Calaqua ones from GLA. very nice quality. Probably on par with ADA (never really seen ADA ones so I can't be for certain). The ebay ones tend to be made of thinner glass and are easily broken. I got the CalAqua nano pipe set.. i think it was around $70 or so? cheaper than ADA.

and nope.. no inline heater right now. maybe later. it'll be primarily a shrimp and moss tank.. and i think they both like colder water. my house is pretty well heated.

i'll move the rocks around and take some pics to see which way looks best.

i love your tank though. i can't really afford/have time to do co2 though.. so no Ray 2 or co2 for me right now.. maybe later on!

#14 ·
I love the stones, I love the slope, but to me I feel like you aren't getting the most out of the tank if that makes any sense? I feel like the stones are also throwing the perspective off a bit. Smaller stones would go a long way into helping the tank feel much larger than it is perhaps.

(p.s., click my sig to see my latest tank, it is currently dry starting, but i think i did a decent job with keeping the perspective in tact?)

#15 ·
I love the stones, I love the slope, but to me I feel like you aren't getting the most out of the tank if that makes any sense? I feel like the stones are also throwing the perspective off a bit. Smaller stones would go a long way into helping the tank feel much larger than it is perhaps.

(p.s., click my sig to see my latest tank, it is currently dry starting, but i think i did a decent job with keeping the perspective in tact?)
ahh i see what you are saying. makes sense. i really like your 12G. i actually have more Ohko stones.. and a really big one that I might try to break apart into smaller pieces. right now i have about 7 stones total and im only using 3.. thanks for your input!

#16 ·
One more thing I'd like to add Ramen is that you go with your gut instinct on this one, you're the one that's going to enjoy it everyday. When i first started my GLA 6g, and i took a picture of just the yamaya stone, people were telling me (in the AA forum) that my stones were too sparse and small, to add more or larger ones. I decided to ignore the recommendations and go with my own vision. Now that it's put together, i get tons of compliments, which i greatly appreciate because it validates my risk as a job well done... My tank still has a ways to go because it's still sporting the ugly Fluval pipes (hence my want for your lily pipes).

So for the small fish, won't you need a heater for them? I decided to get CPD's after my soon to be acquired red rili shrimp come in.

#20 ·
How's the tank going? It's been a while since you've updated. :)
it should be almost done cycling. i haven't tested the water in a few days. also i re-arranged the stones and broke some larger pieces that i have into smaller ones. i had purchased 10 lbs of stones.. which is a lot for a tank this small. so i have plenty of stones to play around with.

im going to re-arrange the stones again because im not too happy with them. i did get a shipment of fissdens in yesterday that im using as 'carpet' for part of the tank. they are on 2x2 pieces of mesh. it'll look better once it grows out. still deciding on the shrimp though. not sure if i should ucse RCS from my 55G or get entirely different shrimp. looking for something colorful/hardy.

a few broken up smaller pieces of the ohko might look good but really its not bad at all as is ;)
thanks! i broke some of the stones (i have 10lbs of various size stones) and am working on re-arranging them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.