Bigstick's 55 gallon Cichlid Tank-Update-9-22 - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

You work on something, get it going good, it thrives and than you rip it all apart. Got to love this hobby !! I am also working on a planted cichlid tank, but mine all mbuna. so far so good. still into the heavy purchase phase, trying new plants, upgrading lighting, trying ferts etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your tank is incredible.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #33 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i love your tank but I have to say I like the before better

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
post #34 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Eater

Thanks for the comments, but that stocking list is gone

I took all the cichlids to the LFS about 3 months ago and the tank is now stocked with rummy nose, ember tetras, cories, tiger shrimp. The layout has changed alot also. Guess I need to start a new photo album for it!

I was getting tired of them tearing up new plats that I introduced, but at least its proof that you can have african cichlids in a planted tank, its just a little more work and difficult to have a small clean up crew!
post #35 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Algae Grower

Sad to hear you changed out the inhabitants. Those were some gorgeous Fronts and the Synodontis was flat out AWSOME. I have a theory as to why your fish ignored the plants in the tank, but demolished new ones when added. When I had my cichlid tank up, I had a mix of Malawi and Tanginikan cichlids. Mine pretty much did the same thing, except I didnt have plants. Whenever there are pre existing objects in the tank, the fish seem to view EVERYTHING as teritorial markers and dont touch them. Also, they (almost) never bothered "old tenants". Thats one of the reasons I used each spieces approximate aggresion lvl to stock the tank. More peacefull fish went in first, then as I added fish, the species added were considered a bit more aggressive. worked well most of the time, but, unfortunately, I got a fluke coward compresscicep who was constantly forced into a small corner of the tank. Most of the time Comp's are pretty bold (there egg stealers designed to sneak in, eat eggs, all the while turning there sides, pretty much armored, to the adults for protection). Was actually thinking of trying a planted cichlid tank before I decided to go planted community tank, but I REALLY didnt want to try to explain why the big fish were eating the little fish.... (feeders, NOT goldfish, but gutloaded, tank raised live bearers...feeder fish= BAD)
post #36 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Eater

Thats a good theory, thanks
post #37 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoMorph2049
Sad to hear you changed out the inhabitants. Those were some gorgeous Fronts and the Synodontis was flat out AWSOME. I have a theory as to why your fish ignored the plants in the tank, but demolished new ones when added. When I had my cichlid tank up, I had a mix of Malawi and Tanginikan cichlids. Mine pretty much did the same thing, except I didnt have plants. Whenever there are pre existing objects in the tank, the fish seem to view EVERYTHING as teritorial markers and dont touch them. Also, they (almost) never bothered "old tenants". Thats one of the reasons I used each spieces approximate aggresion lvl to stock the tank. More peacefull fish went in first, then as I added fish, the species added were considered a bit more aggressive. worked well most of the time, but, unfortunately, I got a fluke coward compresscicep who was constantly forced into a small corner of the tank. Most of the time Comp's are pretty bold (there egg stealers designed to sneak in, eat eggs, all the while turning there sides, pretty much armored, to the adults for protection). Was actually thinking of trying a planted cichlid tank before I decided to go planted community tank, but I REALLY didnt want to try to explain why the big fish were eating the little fish.... (feeders, NOT goldfish, but gutloaded, tank raised live bearers...feeder fish= BAD)
I kept africans yrs ago. Whenever I wanted to add fish I would rearrange the rocks. No fatalities.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #38 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, I knew a LOT of people that didnt want to "deal" wiith the hassle, thencomplain at massive fish loss. Resets work well for erasing territorial markers. I used primarily lace rock and I constantly rescaped it just for asthetic and cleaning purposes. Eentually, I want to get a 18og for another cichlid setup, but not untill my 2 daughters understand the food chain a little better......
post #39 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Fishboy08
Actually,

No offense or anything, but I think it is better that you got rid of that stock list. I am a cichlid enthusiast, and it is not good to keep species from one lake with those of another, let alone mixing all three. I guess you just got lucky, but I wouldn't advise you or anyone else to do that in the future, as all parameters in each lake are different, the occupants of the different lakes have different needs, and it could seriously harm then fish if put in different parameters than needed. Cichlids are also some of the more fragile fish, alot like discus, especially Fronts. Im not trying to be rude, but I would just like everyone to know that, that kind of setup would need alot of research put into it before you could see it happen safely, if at all. Like I said I am not saying you didn't put any thought in it, I would just like to warn people before they go and spend all that money on cichlids because they arent as cheap as other tropical fish, and I hate to see fish die because of the owner not doing what they are supposed to. So no disrespect meant, just my 2 cents.

But, I will have to give you props for the setup. Perfect colour coordination and it did look so beautiful. The plants did look so well with the bright and vivid coloration of the cichlids. Good job and good luck with the new stock!

Thanks for the time!

Fishboy08
post #40 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Eater

I agree with you Fishboy, it started as a Tang, tank but then I just HAD to have peacocks! Very little research later I had them. Another reason that I got rid of the fish, Fronts need a much larger tank. But I do miss those fish! Very beautiful and interesting behavior, in a few years I will do another one. It was an expensive lesson but I enjoyed it and learned a ton about this hobby so chalk it up it the lessons learned category.
post #41 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Planted Member

Yeah, like I said I wasn't trying to make you an outcast by any means. It was just one of those things that I knew, and something important that I think, and I just wanted to pass it on to help prevent a horrible disaster if done wrong. And you were correct about the Fronts, they can easily top 7-8 inches if fed right. And same with the peacocks. Im not sure exactly which you had (I believe that yellow one, the second peacock picture) was either a Sunshine or a Lemon Jake. And I know the Lemon Jake can top 6 inches also. Well I am glad you understand now, and like I said, good luck with your future stock.

PS, I sent you a 2nd PM about payment for the anubias nana
post #42 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Planted Member

Hey, so what has happened with this tank? Did you get a new stock or what? Can we get an update?!?!?!
post #43 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Eater

Yeah, its restocked, and been rescaped about 5 times!!! Ill have to start a new album soon. Ill see if I can do it this week.
post #44 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120 View Post
Yeah, its restocked, and been rescaped about 5 times!!! Ill have to start a new album soon. Ill see if I can do it this week.
Love to see some Updated Pics?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #45 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Eater

I cant get this tank where I want it, the width of the tank makes it so hard! I just hacked it up, Ill try to get some new photos up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode