callisto9's 20G high planted tank - low tech - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

fyi, here's a current thread going on about PPS-Pro dosing over on the ferts & water parameters forum that you might be interested in.

I currently have Flourish Excel/Comprehensive

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Best fertilizer I have found is by
Greg Sage @ selectaquatics.com 303 204 8662. It contains Calcium sulfate, Iron s, Magnesium sulfate, Potas sulfate and much more. It comes in dry form and make a mixture with it thus it last a long time. I bought some off of a member of aquarium club. Thus I don't what the cost is with shipping. I just know it is under $20.

My mixture is 1 litter of water and 1ml of powder, which I measure with a baby medicine dispenser. The weekly I dose with baby syringe 15ml.

With PPS-Pro dosing your are basically over dosing and thus have to do water changes weekly. I only do water changes monthly.

To keep algae under control, BBA, I have 3hr siesta period with lights. It works, according to Diana Walstad, because it allows Co2 to build up.
post #78 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 AM
Green is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
The gunk is poo, un-eaten food (I think?) and... well, it just looks like brown fluff. I'm not entirely sure WHAT it is, to be honest. It's everywhere. The substrate, the plants, the driftwood....

I am dosing (very infrequently) with Excel Comprehensive. I had a member on another forum talk me into this: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...e-pps-pro.html

I'm not sold on it simply because it's way more complex than I ever wanted to get in to. I don't doubt that it works, but it's just way more effort than I wanted to put into this hobby.

I have root tabs in, but other than that, I don't do much. My plants have never thrived and I'd say about half of the plants I've purchased have died. I've lost well over $100 in plants. Some nice, stuff too. They either die or just don't thrive.

I would be willing to try cories again (esp since my stock is reduced from fish deaths), but I don't know how much food even reaches the bottom... The remaining fish pretty much gobble it all up at the surface. One of my peacock gudgeons died the other day (she was really really thin) and I wonder if it's from her not getting enough food. They are bottom dwellers and never really come to the surface, even at feeding time.

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it.
You're welcome, I hope I am helping and not confusing you.

Bluestems is right on in her post, I just have a couple additions.

I don't think you will be able to grow any stem plants, so don't bother trying. Many plants don't feed through their roots, or not much, so you need ferts in the water column. You need to learn how to use them and be diligent on using them.

Vacuum the gunk up at water change, there's plenty of cheap tank vacs out there that will make it easy.

As far as feeding bottom feeders, just watch when you feed the fish and see if you think enough is getting to the bottom if it's flakes. There are algae wafers, which contain more than just algae, and pellets that sink if there isn't enough getting to the bottom. Frozen bloodworms also sink, but they are a little more hassle. I have four different types of food, freeze-dried bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, flake food, and algae wafers to keep everyone happy. For me, one good feeding a day is working, twice a day was raising my nitrates too high.

Good luck and learning!

Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
post #79 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The brown fluff continues. I did a 9G water change on Sunday and a 6 gallon water change on Tuesday. And still, there's crap everywhere. I feel like it's fish poop, mostly.

*sigh*

I will fertilize, I promise. I just want this sorted first.
post #80 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can you take a fts and a close up of the 'fluff'?

Did you use the airline tube to try to remove the debris, and when putting the water back in, use a plate or your hand to slowly pour water over?

If it's poop/debris, and you're doing that much water change, then it should be coming out assuming you're not stirring it up too much as you go. Given that you're not feeding too much than there's no way it's recent accumulation.

Could be something else, that's where the additional pics would be helpful.

Don't worry... we'll help you get it sorted out.

Also, did you begin increasing your photoperiod? Ferts won't really do a whole lot until the light is bumped up a bit.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #81 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Can you take a fts and a close up of the 'fluff'?

Did you use the airline tube to try to remove the debris, and when putting the water back in, use a plate or your hand to slowly pour water over?

If it's poop/debris, and you're doing that much water change, then it should be coming out assuming you're not stirring it up too much as you go. Given that you're not feeding too much than there's no way it's recent accumulation.

Could be something else, that's where the additional pics would be helpful.

Don't worry... we'll help you get it sorted out.

Also, did you begin increasing your photoperiod? Ferts won't really do a whole lot until the light is bumped up a bit.
I did suck up some of the debris with my siphon.

I have to admit, I put the water back in aggressively so it WOULD stir up the stuff in the hopes it would then go through the filter.

I haven't increased my photoperiod. I'm at eight hours now. What's your suggestion?

Here are pics:

post #82 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 03:51 AM
Planted Member

Looks like fish waste to me. I had the same problem and put in some Corys this week to stir up the bottom and the java moss are clean along with the substrate.
post #83 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would add another powerhead in order for the filter to pick it up with more water movement.
post #84 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's good to try to siphon out as much as you can. Stirring it up only works if your filter is powerful enough to suck up all the water and filter it before the debris settles, which isn't happening.

Since there is so much, I really encourage you to give the airline tubing a try. You'll be able to suck up a ton more debris without stirring it up and without taking out nearly as much water. So, you'll be able to go through the entire tank two, three times by the time you remove that 6 gallons.

Only use the airline tubing along the wood, large rocks and plants though. It will suck up the substrate. If you do unintentionally suck up a bit of the substrate, and it gets stuck in the line, pinching the clog will bust it up and make it move along.

Using the airline tubing will take more time, just put on a little music, move slowly, and be amazed at all the gunk it sucks up.

Please do not stir it up anymore. But if you do, just let it settle again and siphon it out at the next water change. Try it and see if it doesn't make a big difference

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #85 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This really does look nice, Erin

With less than 1w per gallon, I think you can safely increase the timing. Try bumping it 1/2hr per day until you reach 10 hours. Once you begin dosing ferts, they will be looking for the light to photosynthesize.

Do the floating plants move around? If not, the plants under them could be suffering from lack of light. You might want to plant them instead, or just pull them once you begin dosing. (so they don't out-compete the other plants for the light and nutrients)

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #86 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And this is the most magnificent close up of poo I've seen!

Seriously, you have mad camera skills

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #87 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Planted Member

You had talked a bit ago about shredded tails on some of your guppies, I am willing to bet its from the Peacock gudgeons. I had 2 in with my guppies and they seemed peaceful as well but notice they generally stay in the bottom of the tank and the guppies towards the top. Watch them when the lights are out and see what happens when a guppy comes to close. I actually observed the gudgeon taking parts of the tail off of one of my best looking guppies. After returning them to the LFS I had no more problems.
post #88 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

LOL Look at my poop photographing skills!

OK, I'll do the airline tubing thing. Would taking the filter off one of my siphons work? When the filter is off, it kinda looks and functions like airline tubing. However, it sucks up stuff aggressively and FAST. Let me know your thoughts.

I'm going to get a picture of how much food I feed and post it on here.

The floating plants do not move around a lot. When I do WC, they do, but I keep guiding them over to the side. They will eventually stay there.

OK, I'll up the photoperiod a half hour tonight when I get home.

One of my gudgeons has passed crazydog. It was the female. She was super thin when I found her on her last day. RE: the shredded tail, I haven't had one since the blue fancy guppy several months ago. Most of his tail grew back, thank goodness!
post #89 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definitely get the airline tubing... it's small enough diameter that it won't suck up much water so you can get a more thorough cleaning. Usually fish stores carry it in bulk, and you can just purchase the length you need and it's cheap.

It will also be nice later on if you need to remove some types of algae with it.

Save those siphons though as you'll want to go back to using those after you get the gunk under control.

The technique is different too with using an airline tubing. Use a bulb aspirator on one end to begin the siphon. You'll want to hold it just above the debris and let it suck it up. Move it slowly along all the plant leaves too and try not to move the plant so the debris stays in place to get sucked up.

Let us know how it goes!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #90 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Definitely get the airline tubing... it's small enough diameter that it won't suck up much water so you can get a more thorough cleaning. Usually fish stores carry it in bulk, and you can just purchase the length you need and it's cheap.

It will also be nice later on if you need to remove some types of algae with it.

Save those siphons though as you'll want to go back to using those after you get the gunk under control.

The technique is different too with using an airline tubing. Use a bulb aspirator on one end to begin the siphon. You'll want to hold it just above the debris and let it suck it up. Move it slowly along all the plant leaves too and try not to move the plant so the debris stays in place to get sucked up.

Let us know how it goes!
Do you think getting some cories would help? I'm open to trying them again (just not albinos).

I will get some airline tubing tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode