Loooooong overdue update (thanks Shelly).
Well, here's what's new:
* Starting picking out all the pink ramshorns. Everyone was right - you'll end up with a ton. I have probably picked out/given away about 100 at this point. I bet there's at least 10+ left in the tank. No more adding ramshorns for me.
* My first apple snail I purchased - a yellow one - died about a week ok. No idea why. I joined an apple snail forum, but we just couldn't help him. RIP "Epic Snail". Here he is during better times:
* Added two albino cory catfish. I know, I'm supposed to have four or more for schooling purposes, but I resisted and then realized I'm really close to being overstocked. And, after having them for a week, I really don't care for them. They were recommended as "clean up crew" for the floor of my tank, but their mad dash back and forth across the center of the tank ALL DAY LONG kinda disrupts the peacefulness that was my tank. At this point, I'm looking to trade or sell them.
* Finally moved over the dwarf gourami (named Juicy Fruit) after some QT. He's doing well and is very peaceful. However, it seems it could be him or the cories that nipped the fins of the blue guppy since the guppy's tail was nipped after the gourami and cories were added.
* One of my PetSmart fancy blue guppies had his tail fin shredded - twice. I have NO idea what fish did it. He's now in the QT tank with the Japan Blue guppies.
* I have fry! My Japan Blue guppies have produced babies. I have no idea which one popped them out, but fry and two females are now in the fry net in my little 6.6 gallon tank. Problem is, my regular blue guppy is in that tank, too, and I want to keep him away from the females so he doesn't impregnate them and pollute the Japan Blue line. He was in the net before I saw the fry and now he's in the main area, away from the ladies. I was going to treat him with some melafix, but held off once I saw the fry.
I still have diatoms.
I've cut back on my light from 16 hours to about 8. I am dosing once a week with Flourish Comprehensive, but I don't know if it's doing any good. I'm not so good with this nutrient stuff.
So, there you have it!