The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aquaponics for Vegans/Anubias Farm

29K views 140 replies 46 participants last post by  dubels 
#1 · (Edited)
Content removed by DogFish

#57 ·
Wow Dogfish, this is amazing! I didn't know you can do this with fish tanks.

With you harvest your lettuce, do you pull all of it out or leave the base to regrow? What else can you grow? or can you grow almost anything?

I'm sorry for the multiple questions, but this is such a fantastic idea and I have a n empty 10 gallon that I'd like to experiment with.

#60 ·
Wow! How have I missed this thread? I love the setup, the potted anubias with goldfish are a nice combo too. subbed... looking forward to seeing how your plants produce over the long haul.

Do you know what the life expectancy is for the tomatoes and peppers? I assume you can harvest the salad a few times before replanting.

I'm really interested in hydroponics too although my first attempt will be rather small. I've ordered a 5g fish tank w/ a 5 pot planter top that I hope to use for a kitchen herb garden. Would love to grow what you're growing though. Especially the peppers as they are getting so outrageously expensive.

#62 ·
Nice! So you're transplanting the tomatoes outside... is that because of having to pollinate or for more space?

I purchased a hydroponics 5g system that comes with 5 pots and growing medium for the seeds. It doesn't ship until March. Can't wait! I'm excited to give this a go! If all goes well, I may look at doing something larger. Our growing season is so short here in Seattle that this could have more potential. I look forward to seeing how yours does. :smile:

#63 ·
That Butter Crisp is making my mouth water!

Your ability to explore, experiment, and create is always a joy to see - your threads never fail to entertain and educate!

Since I live in a single wide mobile home, space is hard to come by (I take it all up with books and aquariums - lol) but I've wanted to do an inside garden for years - for salad greens. I won't be delving into hydroponics, but I do have one last bit of space left. I may finally start a rack of lettuces...the Butter Crisp won me over.

#68 ·
Yeah, space, and electrical bill (saved me $30+ this month). I moved everything outside.
250 sump (pond) 275 gal fish tank and 4x75 gallon 12" deep grow beds.
Its still under construction, trying to figure out the auto siphons.

I'm learning about 2 new ways of growing veggies right now: growing in mulch and wicked beds. growing in mulch seems so easy. A friend of mine does it and he has beautiful lettuce, sprouts, Kale,... and much more growing, nights here were below freezing for 2 weeks now. He said in the morning it looks dead, but from the moment the leaves defrost, it is nice and lush again.

Here is a video about mulch gardening: Back to Eden

#77 ·
On my system I'm starting to feel that one might not be able to reach optimum fish and plant requirements in an Ebb/Flow system. I'm think constant flow might be more appropriate.
Yes, your problem is and mine was, not enough grow beds.
For every gallon of FT you need a gallon of GB.
Try adding an extra GB and see what happens.

#72 ·
When you get Tomato blooms, just make sure you shake the heck out of the plant. That is all that is needed to get good pollination. They use a "tomato shaker" in all the green houses down here in FL. Its basically just a vibrating stick that knocks the pollen loose.

I've had good success in the past with 10 gallon floating system "Deep water culture, airstone in the water" for lettuce. Not so great of success with with floating "Kratky method" No pumps, no air, no electric. It worked, but growth was slow, and harvest was also small.

With all the crap and garbage put into commercial foods today, I think everyone should be looking at various ways to produce their own foods. Aquaponics is awesome. Just keep it organic as possible.

#76 ·
If you keep your FT and ST airated, there should be enough oxygen in the water. I had constant flood in my garage and never got root rot. Yeah actually I had root rot once, it was lavender and was bought from Home Depot...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.