BeachBum's Townhouse Garden (Mr Aqua 17g) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think I came up with a name too.

Its my Townhouse Garden.

I've always enjoyed gardening. When I moved out of my house and in with my girlfriend, I lost my yard. We have a concrete back patio with a cover over the entire thing and we aren't allowed to change anything in the front. That means no garden for me. This tank is really my way of bringing the garden inside. I like it.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

Mr Aqua 17g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice hardscape

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice hardscape
Thank you. I'm still tweaking it until something jumps out at me.

Mr Aqua 17g
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I brought home some Staurogyne repens (Tropica 049) yesterday that I bought from a fellow SCAPE member. Its still going to be a while until I have everything up and running so I'm going to try and grow it emerged for a bit and see what happens. And just because everyone loves photos:

I guess we were out of clear plastic wrap so this had to do for now. I'll pick some up on the way home tonight. I've got a single CFL 13w daylight bulb on for 6 hours right now and I'll be misting daily to keep things moist. I've never grown anything like this before but hey, why not?

Mr Aqua 17g
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

While I was messing with the Trop. 049 I decided to mess with my layout again. I came up with a few ideas and settled on this one to let soak in my head for a few days. It isn't perfect. The right, rear corner would have to be taken down a bit and the left, rear raised but all in all, not too bad. Oh, pics:

Mr Aqua 17g
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can tell you right now an Eheim 2213 will not be enough flow. If it is unused I would return it and upgrade to a 2215 or 2217. I have the same size tank with the 2213 and I had to buy a pump to supplement the flow. Eheim's are great filters, just not very strong.
post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
I can tell you right now an Eheim 2213 will not be enough flow. If it is unused I would return it and upgrade to a 2215 or 2217. I have the same size tank with the 2213 and I had to buy a pump to supplement the flow. Eheim's are great filters, just not very strong.
I have a 2215 as well. I figure I'll try the one first and if it doesn't work out I'll switch and use the one I don't use here on my upcoming shrimp tank. Thanks for the advice.

Mr Aqua 17g
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Switched out the Seiryu stone with some granite for another try. I think I'm getting close but it still feels just a bit off.

In other news, I have everything I need for my co2 setup and just need to make some time to get it put together. Probably early next week. I'll be sure to document the build for everyone to see.

Mr Aqua 17g
post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Planted Member

I like the seiryu stones better. If you get more stones and expand the pile a bit it could look guite good. I love that wood btw.

I will have to remember to get the 2215 or 2217 for my tank. I will just use the ecco if I setup the shrimp tank.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really likes the seiryu stones, too, with the wood resting on top of them like you had. The granite is alright, but it's very smooth stone, and you have very smooth wood, I feel like there's not enough texture contrast. My $.02

"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

KFryman and Silmarwen, thank you for the input.

I'm still undecided on which stones and how much to use. I figure I have about two weeks or so of working on other things before I collect plants and flood the tank so I still have time to tweak.

Mr Aqua 17g
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're welcome. Just keep us posted, eh? However you choose to go about it, I have a feeling this is going to be gorgeous.

"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Planted Member

Welcome! I agree with Silmarwen, the granite doesn't have enough character, makes it look weaker.

Looking forwards to what you come up with.
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your wood placement is nice, and the previous stones are much, much better. Might I sugguest you pile the substrate more on the left where you have the bottom of the branch, integrating the seiryu stones within the hill, try spreading them out a little more so each stone is not touching.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is a thought for this morning...

If I intend on covering the stones with mini fissiden does it matter which ones I use? I'd of course have to adjust the placement still, but in time I'd never actually see the stones at all.

I'm not completely sold on the idea yet. I will be using mini fissiden in this scape, I'm just not sure if it'll be on the stones or the wood.

I like the way this thread is going by the way. Its like scaping by committee. Thanks for all of the help and support.

Mr Aqua 17g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode