The Planted Tank Forum banner

DogFish's 40

23K views 134 replies 42 participants last post by  johnson18 
#1 · (Edited)
Content Removed by DogFish

#94 ·
So now that you've had the G3 up and running as long as you have, what's your take on it? Would you choose it again if you had a closed stand where the aesthetics are not so important as they are with the open metal frame stand in your room? Do you find it "clogs" or requires cleaning of the pre-filter more than once a week? Reviews of the filter around the interwebs vary greatly.

I'm still vacillating between a 306 and a G3. I like the seemingly easy maintenance of the G3 but would be using it with a Hydor in-line heater AND a Sera Flore 500 reactor, the two of which in tandem will limit flow substantially, perhaps too much for even a little 17.4 gallon tank. It's hard to say without a frame of reference.

Hope this doesn't detract from your thread, perhaps I should open a new topic and kill this post if you'd prefer to not have the clutter here!

#97 ·
Cleaning the filter more often due to the ease of doing so, is exactly what appeals to me. I'm fine with once a week filter maintenance, especially if I'm removing material that would otherwise get blown around and decompose over time due to bypass, etc.

I'm encouraged by your comment about a G3 being potentially too strong for a 17g. Too strong is just fine as I can fix that, and I'm hoping to use acrylic pipes as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Back on topic, my daughter also enjoyed your most recent video and is finally feeling the awesomeness of scrimps. I haven't walked her through your substrate process on the Toxic Ten, one step at a time. :hihi:

#101 ·
"Prune"??? What is Prune? :hihi:

Unless a big hunk of leaf is floating around I just let my tank be totally organic. I kinda find a dying leave or two to give the tank a more REAL look.
Me too. Snails seem to like eating 'em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.