The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Tech Dirted 26g bowfront "Cave into Darkness" *Updated 3/6 Pg 4*

9K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  mitchfish9 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. This is my first planted tank, and first tank in general, so I'm excited because of how much this tank has evolved and how much improvement I can still make. It still needs a few more plants, but overall I think it looks pretty good finally after dirting it a couple months ago.

Please tell me what I can do better

Plants:
-Narrow leaf ludwigia
-Amazon sword
-dwarf sag
[STRIKE]-rotala indica i think[/STRIKE]
-crypt wendtii green
-limnophila sessilfloria
-stargrass
-trident java fern
-anubias nana
-hygrophila difformis
-hygrophila tiger

Fish:
-5 pristella tetra
[STRIKE]-5 bloodfin tetra[/STRIKE]
-5 amano shrimp
[STRIKE]-2 otos[/STRIKE]
-pair of GBR
-10 rummynose tetra

Substrate and fertilizers:
-MGOPM capped with plain old black gravel
-Ocasional dose of flourish comprehensive and iron

Equipment:
-Coralife T5 NO 28 watt fixture
-fluval 206
-aqueon 100w heater
-no co2

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
as a number of folks have already posted that is a really nice looking setup!

Smaller (imo) is much harder to pull off than large tanks.
Is the wood arch the real deal or manufactured?
If that's real it's an epic scaping piece and a great find.

#29 ·
I love rummynoses. For what it's worth, changing the shape of your next school may look a little better - some contrast in the aquarium rather than some black neons, which have the same shape.

Perhaps consider a group of white tip tetra's (hyphessobrycon bentosi). They have a much taller body and are very peaceful. Just keep in mind you'll need at least 7 to keep them happy, so take a look at your stocking levels before committing.

I've got 11 of them with 10 CPDs and they look wonderful - albeit my tank is pretty different. I'll get some photos of them uploaded to my tank journal here in the next day or so:

http://www.aquarium-manager.com/tank/detail/167

#25 ·
I like how the tank looks, that driftwood piece is amazing. Just trim the plants down so you can have the "cave" effect of the driftwood. The bowfront complements the big piece of driftwood and 30g might not since there wont be a bow in it. Honestly I would not waste your time with upgrading to a 30g because after couple of months of having that, you will want an even bigger tank. If your going to upgrade, wait for the $1 per gallon deal at petco and upgrade to a 40g breeder tank. That's the best deal unless you find something on craigslist at a deal.

#26 ·
Thanks. I probably wont bring that piece of dw to a new setup because it has so many little places where i can't clean, and I think it brings water quality down a little bit. And you bring up a great point about upgrading my tank. I love 40b's, except at 18 inches deep it would stick way too far out into my little room lol. But now you got me thinking. I might want a 38g... hmmmmm

#28 ·
Nice bowfront.. IMO, i don't see why you'd get a 30g it's just 4 more gallons than what you have. You should go with something a little different like a nice high tech rimless tank like those Mr. Aqua 12-Long or something.. I actually just started the same 26g bow front.. I'm gonna start a tank journal thread here on it but i already got one going in the AA forums for now... Check it out..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...irst-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!!

@brian 12 gallon longs are really cool, but I wanna keep my current livestock, and theres no way I get a 2nd tank lol. Ik it is only a difference of 4 gallons but the dimensions are so different that I think it will be good. I hate how tall my tank is and not long enough. But I might do a 38 instead to add a couple more inches and do a fugeray but still keep it low tech. Your 26 looks amazing!! Manzinita scapes are my favorite and hopefully I will use it on my next tank.

@alex- I do agree that changing the shape is good. I think that black neons are more rounded than rummynose though. But the white tips look great! I will definitely consider those. I like lemon tetras too

**EDIT-How do you edit the thread title to include an update?

#33 ·
Thanks guys!!

@alex- I do agree that changing the shape is good. I think that black neons are more rounded than rummynose though. But the white tips look great! I will definitely consider those. I like lemon tetras too
Yes lemon tetra's are nice as well. Have you considered male endlers?

#32 · (Edited)
That would be a hell of an upgrade! Not really in my budget though :icon_sad:

I am expecting:

$70-$80 for the new tank(not sure the size)
$100 for a new stand
$100 for a finnex fugeray
$100 for a new filter to upgrade from my fluval 206(depending on how big the new tank will be, thats kind of why i wanted a 30, to keep my same filter)

But hopefully I can make back $100-$150 selling the 26g and stand in good condition.

But this scenario is so far off its not even funny. Got anymore suggestions for tank sizes? I like 38g dimensions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.