Two Gouramis - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Talking Two Gouramis

Our story begins in an enclosure with a surface area of (24" x 12") and free space of (24" x 12" x12") of cubic inches. There are apporx. 12 US gallons of water.

With the death of Sam the betta, I was looking for a fish with color and size. The tank I have is heavily planted with several shoals of fish: neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, and corydoras trillineatus. I first added a dwarf gourami (flame/rose) and after a week the fish was blowing bubbles like crazy. I decided to get another fish (looking for a female). The LFS only had males, but they had the morph I really wanted, against better judgement, I bought the most colorful fish in the tank.

As soon as I put the bag in the tank, the first gourami could not take his eyes off the new fish. He pecked at the bag and circled it like a shark. The new fish was un phased.

Once released the new gourami did as he pleased. Once in a while the flame gourami pecked, but mostly half chases ensued. Upon watching the fish I noticed I had a plant jungle, and this was the focus of much of the attention. "King of the Jungle" was the game, and both fish are "Alpha males" in their own respects. The creation of two separate jungles/ mass of plants has so far created harmony for 2 male dwarf gouramis in a 15 (US) gallon tank. I think I've named the two gouramis, Julius and Romulus (2 twin brothers raised by wolves, founders of Rome).

TO BE CONTINUED.....

"I think therefore I am."~Descartes
"Wine gives courage and makes men more apt for passion."~ Ovid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very amusing. I thought Gouramis ate plants. In the stores they seem to just stay in 1 area.

Tags
15gal tank, dwarf gouramis, fighting, wisteria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode