I really like your tank. I have the same one. I have Cherrys and Chili Rasboras in it as well. Mine is doing pretty well. You will have to modify the filter intake in order to keeep shrimp though. I'm sure you have thought about that.
I would recomend getting rid of the stock filter "Cardriges" and replacing it with some foam blocks. On miy tank I actually driledl some holes in the bottom of the media champer and blocked of the slot on the side of the chamber. That way water is forced down through the filter media instead of bypassing and going out the side.
Okay, so time for another update. I'm going to fill the tank soon. Some of the baby tears lately as been browning off for some reason, other spots still really healthy and green. I added a few bunches off dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) in the back.
I also finally modded the filter due to an idea from another helpful member here, HunterX. I used some epoxy to glue a piece of plastic over where the water normally passes and drilled holes in the bottom of the filter media compartment. Then I bought Aquaclear 70 sponges which fit nice once trimmed a tiny bit. This way the water passes through the media and drains below all the sponges. I also purchased some awesome stainless steel mesh from h4n and used epoxy to glue a strip over the intake slots and over the tiny hole in the filter compartment that exists on these tanks. I plan on having shrimp so the mesh was needed.This is pretty much the way HunterX modified his tank in the link he posted in my journal so I must thank him again for the idea. I recommend you check out his evolve as well, pretty cool tank.
So, here are some pics for you guys to see the plants still during the dry start. Also pics of the filter modification. I apologize for my sloppy epoxy working, it was really messy but I figured it's in the filter compartment, no one looks at that anyway but me. Lol
Okay so big update this time. First off, the tank was filled 3 days ago. Everything was looking great until I noticed the tank had a leak at the back part of the tank, on the black plastic part. It was like a pinhole along one of the black edges because I was getting a drip from it. I drained everything instantly, emailed aqueon about it but wanted it fixed after all my dry start time I spent. So I had some marine epoxy which is potable water safe, JB waterweld which cured after an hour. A little on the spot and filled after an hour without a drip. # days and no issues so I'm happy.
So here we are now. I have some pics but warning, they don't look that great since the aquasoil left some dust residue on the sides of the tank while settling. I need to clean that off tomorrow. Well so far the grass actually seems to have some new pieces poking through the aquasoil so I'm happy about that. The HC seems alright, I have some brown pieces that browned during the dry start. I may just prune those out and get rid of them. I'm using excel for this tank but also made a diy CO2 setup just because. So if you see all the haze in the picture, it's just a lot of tiny bubbles. You can see the tiny bubbles in some pics. Also dosing this tank EI style using pre-made solutions I made using dry fertilizers. You'll see in the pics, which were taking a little before lights off, that the HC seems to be pearling. So far I'm happy with the results I'm getting. Finally, here are the pics.
Thanks man, not too sure what shrimp will be going in there. I've done cherries before in the past, I think I want something different. May put some CRS in there, not sure yet. I also might just put in some nano fish like chili rasboras or something. Haven't decided what is going in there yet. I'll be deciding soon