55G Firehouse Shenanagins!!! New pics 5/3/14!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
On a serious note, I would consider making a "Lid" for your tank to make it harder to just chunk crap in there. And a large print clearly written sign noting that time and alot of money is invested please dont touch.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
I wouldn't. I wouldn't even worry about it.
Yeah I wasn't. Just thought it was kinda funny continuing to find pennies when sucking the substrate up during water changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
On a serious note, I would consider making a "Lid" for your tank to make it harder to just chunk crap in there. And a large print clearly written sign noting that time and alot of money is invested please dont touch.
Yeah I'm planning on having Ace Hardware cut me some glass after I get lighting. Pretty sure no one will mess with it when it is stocked with fish and lookin nice with plants.

Last edited by Andrew H; 09-21-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Typo
post #33 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Pretty sure no one will mess with it when it is stocked with fish and lookin nice with plants.
I want to setup a small planted tank in my office at work, but this thought is what is holding be back. I'm worried I'll get who knows what done to it when I'm not around. I guess I could start locking the door when I'm not here.
post #34 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

This would relax people in that day room
post #35 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would worry that once people see it is a serious tank, they'd then try to "help" by feeding the fish or something. It might be a good idea to educate at least one responsible person on each shift to help keep meddlers at bay.

Quality tanks are hard enough without too many volunteers.
post #36 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakishimiei View Post
This would relax people in that day room
Yeah i wander into the bays a lot more now and just look at it which is funny cause it's really lame right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I would worry that once people see it is a serious tank, they'd then try to "help" by feeding the fish or something. It might be a good idea to educate at least one responsible person on each shift to help keep meddlers at bay.

Quality tanks are hard enough without too many volunteers.
That's a good point. We'll have the lights on timers, do the water changes ourselves, and take care of the filter media ourselves. We'll have to have some of the other guys feed for us sometimes.

In other news two neons got stuck to the pump intake and died so down to four neons now. At least they didn't die because of a water issue. Gonna get an intake cover tomorrow.
post #37 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Algae Grower

Excited to see how this turns out! (The tank and the people lol) Good luck! *Subscribed*
post #38 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got some floaters and java ferns from highdesert this afternoon. Kind of hard to see them in the drift wood cause the lighting and my phone sucks. I am keeping the floaters in my tank at home till they grow some more.

Also got six more neons and put them in the tank this afternoon so now there are nine neons. The zebra danios that are in the tank sure do mess with the neons though; chasing them all over and nipping at their tail fins. One is almost missing his entire tail fin. I'm not back on till Tuesday so hopefully they all make it till then and become comfortable in the tank.

When we're back on shift on Tuesday we'll set up the new tank and put the danios in it down the road while it cycles since they are incredibly hardy.

Oh yeah I put some cheese cloth around the intake tube to prevent anymore fish from getting sucked and stuck.
post #39 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

We started the new set up in the day room a few days ago. Yesterday added couple of low tech lights(adding more tomorrow), and some jungle val. I'll get Andrew to post more pic's tomorrow.

29 gal angel tank

55 gal firehouse tank

15 gal

2.5 gal betta tank
post #40 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pics!!!!

Here it is finally!! Sorry about the crappy cell pics. The vals on the left are being pushed down by the current bouncing off that side panel from the filter.

Lighting - 4 x 13w 6500k CFLs
Substrate - 80lbs Eco-Complete
Plants - Ferns, Vals, Moss,
Fish - 3 danios to help cycle, 15 neons in the QT tank, and 30 neons on order from Arizona Nature Aquatics

Will post more pics once the neons are transferred after the tank cycles.
post #41 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Planted Member

love the lines.. I have to wonder what fish will claim that dark underpass as their home :P

post #42 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post
love the lines.. I have to wonder what fish will claim that dark underpass as their home :P
Thanks. Tried to get the vals in a triangle shape but it will take awhile for the vals to thicken up. Plus the left side looks sloppy from the current.

Forgot to say we moved the BN pleco over from the old tank so I think he will claim that dark spot on the underside of the wood.
post #43 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Need some opinions on what types of plants to put in front of the jungle vals and in the valley. Advice is welcomed!
post #44 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

This is looking really gorgeous, Andrew! I love the symmetry! It's not too obvious, though, which makes it even more appealing! Some smaller Crypts might be nice for contrast in front of the Vals, or maybe some other reddish plant? I think some M. minuta or Glosso carpeting the front might be super nice. My Glosso is going INSANE in the Eco-Complete tank I have!
post #45 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks again for the Betta food!!

Doesn't glosso need co2?? I definitely think some carpeting going up the hills and into the valley would look cool; give it more depth and all. Guys on my crew want some [censored][censored][censored][censored] with reds and purples but kind of hard without co2.

Hmmm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode