55G Firehouse Shenanagins!!! New pics 5/3/14!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ive got that identical stand for my 55. I have really liked it. lots of storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Did another big water change last night and added some marimo moss to the wood; also brought in an Anubis from my other tank as well as some xmas moss.

Took out the random decorations. I bought a new 55 gal tank to replace this one since its going inside. Once we have the substrate we'll set it up in the new tank and move the wood over, plant the rest of the tank slowly, and then stock with fish.

Gonna go check out homedepot for lighting today.

EDIT - found this little dude hanging out on a broomstick during the water change...

Last edited by Andrew H; 09-17-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Lizard
post #18 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
EDIT - found this little dude hanging out on a broomstick during the water change...

Put him in the old tank. :}

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.

29gal
post #19 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
Put him in the old tank. :}
If I were to throw all the random lizards, snakes, tarantulas, misc spiders, and scorpions we find in the bay into a tank, you would probably never want to check out AZ.
post #20 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

Newer pennies are mostly zinc, very little copper ON them... No need to worry much about the copper if all of the gnarly pennies were "recent". Only real issue with copper would be that any inverts would die. You want to be sure to remove anything in the tank that may have absorbed the copper (rocks, wood, etc.)

Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
Oh those guys in the fire house such kidder. Its amazeing your fools are so simalar to my fools in the FDNY.
post #21 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaFe View Post
Newer pennies are mostly zinc, very little copper ON them... No need to worry much about the copper if all of the gnarly pennies were "recent". Only real issue with copper would be that any inverts would die. You want to be sure to remove anything in the tank that may have absorbed the copper (rocks, wood, etc.)

Alfred
Yeah I'm not too worried about the pennies. Still finding them though. Found a clip of staples, old chewing gum, and more pennies last night.

One of the "B" shifters told me the other day he hasn't spit his chewing tabbacco goop in it since we took it over. Progress I guess....
post #22 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Check out the new set-up!

Yesterday I picked up four neon tetras just to see how they would do in the soft water we have at the station. They all looked fine in the store but as soon as the bag was floating to acclimate the fish, one started looking real weird and swimming in an upward fashion; if you could even call it swimming. So I pulled that one out and it was dead this morning. The other three are swimming together though and colors are already brightening up. Sure hope they live.
post #23 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's beautiful, Andrew! Did the Eco-complete guy come through for you?
post #24 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
That's beautiful, Andrew! Did the Eco-complete guy come through for you?
Yeah my buddy Will got the packages two days ago! He's a member on here but I don't know his username. Either way we got hooked up!

Now we really need to look into lighting. Welp, I'm off to petsmart to get the dead tetra replaced.
post #25 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

Nice progress on the tank! I was on A shift during my time with the fire dept. It's funny how the B and C shifts get a "bad" rap, no matter the dept.

Maybe I missed this particular bit of info, but where in the station is the tank located? The reason I ask is I would wonder what sort of effect the diesel fumes might have on the tank if it is too close to the bays.
post #26 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi Guy View Post
Nice progress on the tank! I was on A shift during my time with the fire dept. It's funny how the B and C shifts get a "bad" rap, no matter the dept.

Maybe I missed this particular bit of info, but where in the station is the tank located? The reason I ask is I would wonder what sort of effect the diesel fumes might have on the tank if it is too close to the bays.
The tank is still in the bays but the new setup will be in the day room. Not too worried about the fumes as our exhaust removal system kicks on every time we pull in and out.

I would say within the month we'll have the new set up in the day room cycling, then move the fish we have right now over.
post #27 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
The tank is still in the bays but the new setup will be in the day room. Not too worried about the fumes as our exhaust removal system kicks on every time we pull in and out.

I would say within the month we'll have the new set up in the day room cycling, then move the fish we have right now over.
Yeah, I figured your station would have one of those exhaust systems. A few years ago I remember there being a big push for all departments to have them. Hopefully your station isn't one of the super busy ones and you'll actually have time to enjoy the tank!
post #28 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi Guy View Post
Yeah, I figured your station would have one of those exhaust systems. A few years ago I remember there being a big push for all departments to have them. Hopefully your station isn't one of the super busy ones and you'll actually have time to enjoy the tank!
This is a new station for us. Our old one was a converted daycare center. We used to run 18 calls a shift between the engine company and ladder company; now we are lucky if we each run two a shift. So there is pleeeeeeenty of time unfortunately but at least that means no one is getting hurt out there.

I will update in a few hours with pics of the fish when I get to work.
post #29 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Now we really need to look into lighting. Welp, I'm off to petsmart to get the dead tetra replaced.
I have the Deep Blue Solar-Max Daul T5 on my 29 and it looks great price was good too.

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.

29gal
post #30 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Oh god. Lol

I would consider draining it completely and doing a wicked cleaning/rinsing once you get the new substrate, change the carbon, and make sure you have a bottle of Seachem Prime or Aquavitro Alpha (a much more powerful version of Prime) handy in case it sparks a mini-cycle.
I wouldn't. I wouldn't even worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode