The Planted Tank Forum banner

RiverBottom/Dive Tank

19K views 88 replies 33 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 · (Edited)
hello, glad to have found you all.
the short story.
My husband is a cave diver, no longer diving. Hence my inspiration is Florida's fresh water springs and rivers.
here are some random videos of our local springs I found on the internet.
Morrison Springs, were he certified many divers in cavern diving
http://youtu.be/3s9bdlrNC_k
and my favorite, Cypress Springs
http://youtu.be/hzhA2LKqgVY

I have quite a bit of experiance with garden ponds and the heavy filtration needs of koi pond, I have one of each, mostly DIY.
and I realize as much as it can be similar, the planted tank hobby is also so very different.
as I did my ponds I am going to try to K.I.S.S. it (keep it stupid simple)

as of today I have
a 45 gallon cube
LED lighting for plants on their way as well as a canister filter and pump.
3 pieces of drift wood soaking ... to be ready
4 angels excitedly awaiting a new larger home.

See less See more
#54 ·
This tank has come a long way! It was fun reading this thread. Your plants are really starting to come into themselves.

I know you may be attached to it, but have you ever considered taking the upside down Y-shaped piece of driftwood out? In terms of composition, I think it would give the tank better perspective. The piece in the back corner reminds me of Halong Bay in Vietnam. Although, I do like how the other piece forms a little roof over the mermaid :red_mouth.

Either way, happy to see your success so far.

#56 ·
so very exciting! I by chance found some pretty little Rams. of the 3 the LFS had i brought home the most colorful one and the least. Seems I picked a pair!
I hope the are vigelant parents and the egss are still there being watched over in the morning!

#57 ·
the new parents were not good parents, perhaps they will do better next go around?
they are fun fish to have in the tank and their colors are outstanding!

the angels got to aggressive an have been moved to the 80gal tall I have. Now this tank id a mini micro ...lots of little inhabitants
5 black rasbora...love these guys!
7 rummy nose tetras
6 ottos
3 jullie cories
2 blue rams
a doz or so green neons .........love them! tiny and tight schoolers! look like a bunch of tiny lights
and I just got a male dwarf fire goramie as kinda a center piece fish

I have worked real hard at finding fish that add color to the tank. visitors cant believe they are fresh water fish, they think you have to go with salt water to get colorful fish.
anyway I have a pretty full fish load but being they are all small things it doesn't even look crowded

#58 ·
have had a time with some black algae. my rams have not done well, one disappeared and the other had a growth on its head and has gotten quite thin and pale although it eats well.
all other fish are doing well. I got two amano shrimp and they have gone to town on the algea, yeah!
here is the tank today

#59 ·
things are growing nicely. Nerite snails are getting large too. and I have a lovely little albino bristle nosed pleco.

#61 ·
thank you.

just thought it was time for another update shot. other than the micro chain sword up front doesn't seem to be filling in (darn do I ever need a good low ground cover, any low/medium light suggestions?) other than that I am very pleased with this tank

#64 ·
Luminescent is that you?!!!! My husband was a safety officer for the NACD for years and was part of the group that originally put those warning signs out!
and yes was have visited Crystal River often.

I love your castle tank!

here is how mine is doing, bumped up for a friend

Attachments

#66 ·
Meg, the tank is simply gorgeous!

Your fish store must be top of the line. All I have are PetCo and PetsMart. They have nothing like the fish you have.

I love the Albino Bristlenose. I had a regular Bristlenose and loved him.

You're making me rethink all those hundreds of Angelfish fry I'm raising!

I can't wait to get started on my tank.

#69 ·
they are Black Rasboras, good eye! I love them. but I recently lost them all. not sure what happened as everyone else is fine. over two weeks they all just dropped off :(

Sandy, the albino bristle nose I got from Molly. she sells them

I recently added 3 sparkling goramies, they are very small and different.
thinking of making my green neon school bigger instead of replacing the rasbora

#73 ·
up date a s requested. happy you all like my tank!
Aquatic Prodigy the waters are good, all other fish are doing great. I enlarged the green neon school and moved my betta to this tank, he makes a nice centerpiece fish. the rummy noses keep him in line.
I had a terrible out break of BBA and got it undercontrol with 5 amano shrimp, they are amazing! added 3 cherri shrimp as well. the water is clear the pictures are bad, I try to get better pictures soon.
the tank tonight

Attachments

#74 ·
gone for a weekend and had a large snail die. the tank had a large fish load and that dead snail pushed it over the edge, I lost much of the fish life.
still standing(swimming) are 3 rummy noses, 2 green neons, the albino bristle nose, 1 male threadfin rainbow, and 5 sparkling georamis.

I think I will keep the Bristle Nose and Sparkling Gs, add more green neon..
rehome the threadin and rummy noses.
add a school of 5 black rasboras or 5 black neons.

any-who, here is the tank today

Attachments

#75 ·
replaced the green neons, I love them had to have them.
and have added 6 threadfin rainbows

Attachments

#76 ·
today replaced the threadfins with black rasboras. I guess fancy isn't my taste! lol
I like the beefy presence of the rasboras and being dark purple they show agains the greenery nicely

Attachments

#77 ·
thought it was time for an update on this tank.
it is home to 11 green neons, 5 black rasbora, 5 rummy nose tetra, 2 sparkling gouramies, and a male dwarf Victoria mouth breeder

Attachments

#78 ·
tank up date pictures!

Bump:

Bump:

Attachments

#80 ·
love this tank! tall tanks seem pretty hard to get looking right but you seem to have had no problem :D

#83 ·
I love the tank! That's a difficult space to fill and you've done it well. The small size is.certainly a challenge with a large fish load. Two of my 3 tanks are 75 gallons for that reason. In a small tank a.single fish dying can kill everything. Some fish just die... Ive had 5 fish die in the last two weeks and my water could not be better. 3 Bloodfin Tetras and 2 Panda Corys (I think the temps maybe finally got to them?)
Keep doing what you're doing. I love the Victorian cichlid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.