The Planted Tank Forum banner

Drift Monkey's Fluval Ebi (Rili tank)

7K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  austin.b 
#1 · (Edited)
Aren't these things passé or something now...don't see many of 'em...:tongue:

Anyhow, I've set it up and have been fishless cycling it with pure ammonia and Mosura BT-9 for about a week now while waiting for my manzanita to waterlog (still hasn't :rolleyes:). Ordered some easy moss/plants from h4n (thanks!). This is my first real planted tank after years of nano reefs...guess I figure I'd change it up a bit. :thumbsup:

My current stocking plans are some cherry shrimp, maybe some ramshorn snails, and possibly otos...keeping it simple.

Equipment:
  • Fluval Ebi (duh!)
  • Fluval Shrimp Stratum
  • Manzanita driftwood
  • 2x Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp (13W)
  • Eheim 2232
  • Lily pipes w/clear vinyl tubing

Flora:
  • Anubias Nana 'Petite'
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Green Gecko'
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Red'
  • Narrow Leaf Java Fern
  • Trident Java Fern
  • Flame Moss
  • Peacock Moss

Fauna:
  • None yet!

Anyway, I just planted her up a little while ago, here she is!

Front

Side

Decent enough for a first scape? Comment/critism/(flaming?) welcome!

See less See more
#35 ·
So...it's been QUITE a while, but this tank is still up and running. I went on an extended vacation and it developed a SEVERE case of stringy algae that completely took over the top of the tank and I proceeded to neglect it for a while (terrible, I know). I"m not sure exactly what sparked it though...excess nutrients I'm assuming.

I decided to finally take care of it. The algae came off mostly in a single, disgusting mat. The shrimp didn't seem to mind it though...they just kept multiplying (although I'm sure they enjoy being able to see the light again, as do the plants). I have several blue variations now that I want to separate and perhaps selectively breed. Maybe in my picotope?

I lost almost 100% of my moss to the algae infestation though, as it seemed to fuse itself to the algal mat.

I took this time to clean the canister out (new floss) and clean out the lily pipes, which were beyond disgusting at this point. My purigen was dark brown, so I decided to dump it in a 50:50 bleach/water solution for a while before I pop it back in. I did a 25% (roughly) water change and topped her off and she's good as new. The tank's parameters seem to be in line, the TDS read 169 the last time I checked...maybe I'll do another partial at the end of next week.

Anyway...on to the crappy update pics:

I'm tackling my Edge now...which has literally turned into a moss/riccia jungle. This'll be fun...:icon_neut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.