So...it's been QUITE a while, but this tank is still up and running. I went on an extended vacation and it developed a SEVERE case of stringy algae that completely took over the top of the tank and I proceeded to neglect it for a while (terrible, I know). I"m not sure exactly what sparked it though...excess nutrients I'm assuming.
I decided to finally take care of it. The algae came off mostly in a single, disgusting mat. The shrimp didn't seem to mind it though...they just kept multiplying (although I'm sure they enjoy being able to see the light again, as do the plants). I have several blue variations now that I want to separate and perhaps selectively breed. Maybe in my picotope?
I lost almost 100% of my moss to the algae infestation though, as it seemed to fuse itself to the algal mat.
I took this time to clean the canister out (new floss) and clean out the lily pipes, which were beyond disgusting at this point. My purigen was dark brown, so I decided to dump it in a 50:50 bleach/water solution for a while before I pop it back in. I did a 25% (roughly) water change and topped her off and she's good as new. The tank's parameters seem to be in line, the TDS read 169 the last time I checked...maybe I'll do another partial at the end of next week.
Anyway...on to the crappy update pics:
I'm tackling my Edge now...which has literally turned into a moss/riccia jungle. This'll be fun...