35 tall first serious attempt...beach/planted hill - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

35 tall first serious attempt...beach/planted hill

Most recent shot

Equipment
  • 35 tall ACME aquarium (thought it was just a normal 29)
  • Fluval 305 canister filter
  • Green Machine in tank UV filter
  • Clip on heater
  • Coralife dual T5 HO fixture w actinic and 10K lights (need to swap the actinic, i know)
  • Rim mounted marineland led strip with added tint (using the blue setting as a night time light)
  • Mixed substrate (about 30% fine gravel, 70% flourite and eco complete) and play sand

Flora
  • Anubias
  • Crypts (couple different kinds)
  • Java Fern (small shoots that were planted)
  • Java Moss
  • HC mixed throughout
Fauna
  • 4 Guppies (various strains)
  • 1x Dalmatian platy
  • 5x Otocinclus
  • 6-7x Ghost shrimp
  • 4-5x Cherry Shrimp
The boring backstory

Well, my son inadvertently got me back into the hobby after about 10 years of having no fish. This is my personal tank and it's been a bit of an uphill battle with angry goldfish and ick and learning about plants in general. What I'm left with after some tank upgrades is a 29 tall tank of guppies, ottos and shrimp

On to the photos, etc...

Started off like this basically (ick) but my son LOVED the diver

After a while, folks were separated and the tank was rearranged

goldfish are living happily in their new home

Then I ran into some problems with some gnarly black mold forming on the decorations in the guppy tank, so I flipped out and tore everything down and disposed of everything fake (good excuse as I'd been wanting to do it for a while) I cleaned out the substrate for a while, picked up some play sand and rinsed it well and began the setup of a 29 that I found on the side of the road after letting it sit outside full of water for a couple days

the hill...

setup the beach and added bigger rocks and driftwood

first planting/uber slow flood

added some river rocks and some smaller plants

setup the coralife HO T5 I scored for 23 bucks

shot from the right

since then i've added some java moss and baby's tears scattered through the hill and replaced the telanthera (was slowly melting) with some broad leaf ludwigia that seemed to be doing well at work under similar excel/fert doses. i also lucked out and found 5 juvenile red cherry shrimp in with the java moss who are still acclimating/hiding

some up to date pictures with my new camera later (son is napping now)

Last edited by nerdariostomp; 03-05-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've also been trolling pretty heavily into equipment and I'm going to be going PB CO2 by early September. I'd like to pick up the aqualife dual stage regulator/solenoid to keep the CO2 fairly automatic and a little safer.

I'm already thinking about dropping the water and creating a riparium type hybrid tank, so we'll see what happens. a new custom stand and a sump might be in the works to make that idea a little easier too haha. for now i'll probably create a little sandy hill on the left front to kind of balance things out a little more and eventually i'd like to find a very nice piece of driftwood to make that side stand out more
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the dinosaur tank. The beach tank looks good with the two different color substrates.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I really want to see the plants do well. For now I'm just dosing once a week with flourish complete and am using some root capsules. Doing a daily dose of Excel in the morning. Hoping the babys tears take off and carpet the hill pretty well eventually. Next week I should be coming across 300 bucks so it'll be going to new equipment for home and work tanks.

Here's the 10/5 gallon at work. I'll probably be mixing cuttings back and forth here and eventually planting the 5

Last edited by nerdariostomp; 08-25-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fixed code
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I've been walking my property a lot more lately and I really like the aquatic lansdcape here. Several streams and a spring feeding a marsh that drains to a pond. That's the whole reason I originally moved so far out haha. I decided I'd scape my tank completely with rocks from my streams.

Fast forward to today. My wife is out of town with our son for the next 24 hours so naturally I woke up at 7, and as the thunder boomed, I gathered as many interesting rocks as possible. Filled my sons wagon about halfway with them and am now enjoying the cleaning process. Almost finished and I've even managed to cobble together a new piece of driftwood. Tank has been semi de-scaped and more sand being added and a couple new anubias nana for the driftwood too.

Blasting type o negative through the house, drinking cream soda and aquascaping...what a killer Saturday!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, I started off by making a better piece of driftwood to fill some of the empty space on the left side

After boiling, it soaked for a week and I rotated the water out daily

Voila!

Last edited by nerdariostomp; 09-01-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added photo
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Then the task of gathering some rocks from the stream...went a little (OK a lot) overkill

then cleared the old beach side of the tank and laid everything out...so much more than i need, but hey now there's clean rock for any other tanks hehe

Last edited by nerdariostomp; 09-01-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added photo
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think I've finally done it some justice and it doesn't feel like a cavernous disaster and the tennants seem to agree. I know my ottos will be happy to have somewhere to hide out

A shot of the 2 new anubias nana and the reason the ludwigia was pulled. little platy totally destroyed it, so I figured screw it...

Let me know what you think. I'm a bajillion times happier
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

wow nice tank

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Was at home sick today and caught one of my free hitchhiker shrimp out of the driftwood pruning some HC. They migrated over to some java moss before hiding again

Also the large crypt (parva?) Has a bunch of new shoots coming. Some yellowing is happening though. Not sure what I'm lacking but its something its not getting enough of between root tabs and flourish comp.

Also as a bonus, i rescaped my sons Dino tank last weekend. Took out slate and put in all organic localy sourced sustainable free trade stream rocks and pulled most fake plants. I refuse to try and plant this with the goldfish in there that are known for being huge jerks to plants haha.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's been a long time so I figured I'd post a new few pics. I have left the scape alone as much as possible just adding in a couple things (fish included)

Heres the latest FTS

And the gang all excited at the false hope of food.

And the shrimp that hung out. Really reddened up and now has a cool white stripe
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice tanks, its good to have your sons take to throw stuff around in to figure out what you like/dislike. That way you can move stones to your tank if wanted. Wish I could score some hitchhiker shrimp! Keep up the nice work!

The worst defeat in the world, is when you give up.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I actually spend most of my time looking at his tank since its in the living room so I think it's pretty cool despite its plantlessness.

I really want to get a small shallow tank with a couple of tanganyikan shell dwellers now as well but I don't think the wife will allow anymore in the house. My 12 long was already banished to work haha.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

35 tall first serious attempt...beach/planted hill

Well, a couple of things have changed. First, the shelldweller tank was OK'ed as long as it stayed in my basement room. Done

Also the 35g was shuffled around and is now running CO2 via aquatek PB regulator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode