I have several things I am now considering doing at this point. Feel free to let me know what you think, good or bad... I hate saying that as I've not really been contributing much to the forum lately. Stupid life... Hahaha...
1. Rotate the driftwood loaded with A. nana/petite pretty much 180 degrees.
This would mean that the tallest point of the driftwood would be against the back wall but the incline would left to right. This would then rely on the nana to cover the filter that is placed in the corner behind the wood. I think I can easily swap sides and specific plants around to cover the filter. I believe this covered look could easily be achieved with the plants I've got. Plus the top of the backside of this piece is pretty sweet, will look good with a bunch of petites This would then allow more light to reach the foreground plants, namely the Blyxa japonica I just planted in that front corner. I think flipping the driftwood would also defuse the strength of the water flow across the back of the tank. Currently the swords are leaning close to 45 degrees in the current.
Here is the current lay out of that corner, plus a height comparison showing the filter behind the driftwood.
2. What do I put behind the Blyxa/directly in front of the tallest portion of the driftwood.
Currently there is a small row of Cryptocoryne beckettii. The row extends from the last 1/4 of the current driftwood base as far back to end against back glass behind the E cord. 'Tropica marble queen'. These Crypts. melted a while back after I removed a bunch out of the little grove. Ha. I may just wait to see how the grow. I was considering adding some C. nurii but I don't know if it'll get lost as the large radican starts to fill in. I don't have any great pictures of this area yet. Might be easier once I flip around the driftwood, if I do so.
3. Foreground. All of it...
I'm currently pleased with the Blyxa on the left side of the tank. I do have a bit of H. 'japan' planted in the spaces between a few plants.
The middle of the tank needs some work.
Here is how it looks after planting H. 'japan'. Not the best picture in the history of the world...
The portion between the Blyxa and the C. lucens is the main area I planted the Hydrocotyle. There is also some dwarf sag mixed in that area. This is the main section I'd like to add more foreground plants into the mix. I was thinking maybe some glosso, marsilea minuta & am definitely open to other suggestions. I don't have to have a uniform single species carpet, I want a nice lush mix. I want S. repens/49 but I'm not sure where to put a patch of it yet.
The section of the foreground from the crypt over to the nana on the main piece of drift wood needs help. I think I might just add more of the 'lucens', or maybe divide the plants I've got and let them fill the area. The A. nana will get moved more onto the driftwood, I think. Or maybe I'll met the other foreground plants fill this area around the current crypt. Hmmmm......
4. The Java Fern on the main driftwood. As well as the right end of the tank.
Here's how it looks currently.
I've already got a 5 gallon bucket 1/4 full of Java Fern I have pulled from the tank.
I think I'm going to pull every last bit of it from this tank. Either leave the wood uncovered or I do have a small amount of a needle leaf trident JF I could begin to recover the driftwood. I could also put some Anubias on, if I wanted. This might let some of the crypts planted around that end of the driftwood begin to grow with vigor again.
Talking about pulling the JF from the driftwood brings us the my last concern.... The very right end of the tank. The one that's got a few weak looking amazon swords... If I pull the java fern it fully exposes the fact that end looks like sh*t. The back of that corner has the other filter hidden in it. The filter is surrounded by a bunch of C. balansae. The very end of the driftwood has a few C. beckettii too. I need something tall enough in this corner to replace the amazon swords that will also help cover the stalks of the balansae and filter. I wouldn't even mind putting some plants that taper from shorter to taller, though there's not a ton of room... A little color might be nice.
I know I will have to go back to some sort of fertilizer dosing schedule with these changes. Any input, thoughts, ideas, criticism, laughing, dude wtf's are all welcome!