thanks guys. I'm hoping the mini pelia will start looking better. It has a very ghostly green on the submerged parts. while the emmersed areas of it are finally turning green after being black for nearly 3 months.
The red plant in the back is in fact hygro kompakt! When it was under my t5s in another tank, they were always emerald green. But now under 2 different led setups (lowes par38 and now my diy led) they turn a crimson red. I do dose iron, but they are that red regardless of iron dosing.
The airplants are in fact bromeliads. They cannot be submerged. the roots can't even touch the water. The branch the are attached to just rests in the tank, so once a week, I remove that branch, dunk the plants under water for a few seconds and then place the branch back where it goes. I'm already seeing a new shoot on the highest B. so the method is working.
Can I ask where you got the bromeliads? I've never seen them in any of my local nurseries, and I'd love to have some, even outside of something like this
"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.
Did a major cleaning today and realized its been about 4 months since this all started. Here are some updated shots.
I started thinking that the lights were just way too intense as my hc was browning pretty badly. I now only turn the NW's to about 25% and run the CW's at about 75%. The HC has responded well to this but it came at the cost of the intense reds I was seeing in the hygro's. The tips still turn red, but have a more over all green appearance now.
The only plant that is giving me grief is the mini pelia. It always looks dingy and nasty, except for the areas where it breaches the surface. I thought maybe it was my excel dosing, but I havent done that in weeks and even then, it was like half dosage for my volume of water. Any ideas?
Thanks for looking!
Last edited by pwolfe; 12-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Reason: added a question
ya they are fun. in case anyone asks, that branch is free floating. Once or twice a week I dunk the air plants in the tank and then re situate the branch. It seems to work well as the top most plant has 4 seperate shoots since I bought it.
Last edited by pwolfe; 12-14-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Reason: never trust iphone auto correct
I had to euthanize Agh tonight. He got fin and tail rot which I was able to stop with antibiotics, but he became lethargic in the weeks after and eventually developed dropsy. He did not respond to further treatments and was not eating. He was visibly suffering.
I hope the creator has a special place for event he smallest of creatures.
HC is doing poorly. After much research, I've made some adjustments to ferts and am now blasting the co2 a little stronger, we'll see if it turns around. The hydrocotyle choked out the majority of araguaia and has now been switched to emmersed growth in the flame moss while I let the araguaia bounce back. The emmergent hygro kompakt on the left side has become a real treat.