Mayphly's 12 Gallon RimlessTank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Both input and output are 12mm. 1/2 inch. They are the same diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added UG & Downoi

So, I received 2 small clumps of UG and some downoi. I planted the downoi (which was previously submerged) in my tank growing it now emersed. I burried just the roots and kept the stem above the substrate. I read that this may be the ticket to keeping it alive in amazonia soil. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I have some of the UG growing on a piece of driftwood and some other small pieces growing directly on the ada soil. Again I have read both horror stories and success stories about growing UG on ada amazonia soil. I also have a small piece growing in some sphagnum moss in my terrarium to see how well it does. Has anybody had success dry starting UG and downoi in ADA Amazonia soil? I'd be interested in hearing if it did good or not.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UG on DW.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	53590  

Name:	downoi emersed.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	53591  

post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
SCAPEr

Nice! btw you would want to drain the water until nothing above the surface.
Btw I'm not feeling the UG on the driftwood. Was it shipped to your door? It looks pale already... :/
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, the UG looks pretty sad
That's part of the reason I put some on the driftwood to see if it grows there in case it doesn't take off in the ada soil.
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unhappy Algae

I noticed a little bit of green algae growing towards the front of the glass today. I think I had too much water in my tank. My water was pretty much level with the substrate. I drained some water, raised my lights, aired out my tank a bit and added excel to my misting bottle. I had been using excel in the mist bottle since I started the tank and stopped using excel a few days ago when I planted my UG. I switched to distilled water and then the algae appeared. I'm back to using the excel. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	53725  

Name:	photo-2221.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	53726  

post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Please help!!! CO2 question & plant ID Thanks!!!!

Here are a couple of pics of how my tank is doing. The Syn 'belem' I planted in the beginning of Sept and it wasn't looking promising. It started to turn brown. However, last week new little bright green crowns started forming. I'm hoping they will still grow well once flooded. Got my fingers crossed. In the last photo is a pic of a plant I cannot ID. Can someone tell me what this is? I should be receiving my GLA regulator on Wed and plan on filling the tank this Saturday. I read an article that said to start the CO2 at 3-5 bps for the first 2 weeks and then to 3 bps after that. I have a 10 gallon tank that only uses about 1 bps and is heavily planted. However, it wasn't a dry start tank. At what bubble rate do most people start at in a 12 g tank and when should it be lowered after the initial filling of the tank? Thanks to all the folks who helped me out with plants,advice and suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plants 005.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	56504  

Name:	Plants 007.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	56505  

Name:	Plants 010.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	56506  

Name:	Plants 10-2012 002.jpg
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	56509  

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

First: This tank looks stunning! Woah. Can't wait to see it filled.

Re CO2: If you don't have any critters in the tank, you can crank it up as high as you want. But just using a drop checker and estimating based on its color will work fine when you first transition from dry start. You likely won't have much (if any) melting because you've kept things so moist.
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
First: This tank looks stunning! Woah. Can't wait to see it filled.

Re CO2: If you don't have any critters in the tank, you can crank it up as high as you want. But just using a drop checker and estimating based on its color will work fine when you first transition from dry start. You likely won't have much (if any) melting because you've kept things so moist.
Thanks for the compliment and the quick response.
Eventually I will be putting fish in there. I'm just concerned on how much for how long on the co2. Im sure some of the plants will be adapting to their submerged state. Does it make sense to lower co2 once the plants have adapted? Or, does it not matter at all?
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks great already. 12g long is going to be my next tank hopefully.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Looks great already. 12g long is going to be my next tank hopefully.
Thanks!
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good.

Osaka 320L ver 2
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

Most people aim for about 30PPM (or corresponding pH color in your drop checker). That should be fine once you have fish in the tank.

You can crank it up in the beginning to make sure plants have all the CO2 they need. I've never done it for more than a few days.

A note about bubbles per second and such: each setup is different, pressures are different, diffusers different. So it's tough to say what you should set things at. Just start at a bubble per second and let it run for a couple hours. Then look at your drop checker. If it's not where you want it to be, turn it up another bubble and wait a couple more hours. That'll help you really fine tune things and get them right where you feel comfortable.

People mostly run into problems with serious melting when they don't keep things moist. Based on your photos, it looks like you've done a great job keeping things misted and sealed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayphly View Post
Thanks for the compliment and the quick response.
Eventually I will be putting fish in there. I'm just concerned on how much for how long on the co2. Im sure some of the plants will be adapting to their submerged state. Does it make sense to lower co2 once the plants have adapted? Or, does it not matter at all?
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Most people aim for about 30PPM (or corresponding pH color in your drop checker). That should be fine once you have fish in the tank.

You can crank it up in the beginning to make sure plants have all the CO2 they need. I've never done it for more than a few days.

A note about bubbles per second and such: each setup is different, pressures are different, diffusers different. So it's tough to say what you should set things at. Just start at a bubble per second and let it run for a couple hours. Then look at your drop checker. If it's not where you want it to be, turn it up another bubble and wait a couple more hours. That'll help you really fine tune things and get them right where you feel comfortable.

People mostly run into problems with serious melting when they don't keep things moist. Based on your photos, it looks like you've done a great job keeping things misted and sealed up.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll post pics once I flood it.
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

tank is looking really great
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great job! It looks so good that I don't want to see it with water. But every tank deserves to be filled. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayphly View Post
In the last photo is a pic of a plant I cannot ID. Can someone tell me what this is? :
It looks like some kind of crypt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode