Hello, been wanting to post a journal but keep lagging. This is my first attempt at a planted tank and having an aquarium! I lurked here for a few months before pulling the trigger, this site is definitely the best resource and an awesome community!
Since this is my first time, my plan was not to have a plan, all I knew is that I wanted diversity in the plants and the fish. So one night when I came back from a bar I knew I needed to buy some plants and on an impulse found a plant package from Cris on SnS and bought it. The plants came in and they were awesome! Planting stems proved a huge pain but found it easier with needle nose tweezers than the blunt nose long tweezers I had.
Here is a summary of what I did:
1. Tank was cycled in two weeks, did a test and had 0 on Ammonia, Nitrites! Decided to throw in Amanos and Ottos, they cleaned up the algae/fungus real fast that was on the wood!
2. I know the Eheim 2217 is overkill, but in order for me to place the tank on the bar between the kitchen and living room, I had to have a few 90 degree piping to get the tubing in place. I still have to reduce the flow with the quick disconnects though. All the media are in laundry bags to make filter cleaning much easier. I also removed the carbon pad after a month and replaced with Purigen.
3. I had to redo the whole tank in its first stage, that's why you see the Power Sand mixed in with the Aquasoil. I don't mind, I like the contrast actually. Next time I'll put the Power Sand in a laundry bag just in case. I had to redo because the end of the wood would tilt when doing water changes. I bought the egg crate and zip tied the wood on it and used a rock as a weight. No problems with the wood moving since.
4. Never had an algae problem in the first 2 months, now I am battling BBA and I see some thread algae. Also I see some Hydra popping up.
5. Interesting note, the CPDs would hide when I had 5, when I introduced 4 more they were not shy anymore! They love to hang out by the filter area on the left side.
6. Yes I know I am overstocked! All fish get a long and none are territorial.
ADA 60P (24x12x14)
ADA Metal Jet Intake/Outake with Fluval foam prefilter
AquaTek Regulator, Paintball Adapter, 20oz Tank
Eheim 2217 (Bio-Rio, Purigen, and stock media)
Hydor Inline 200w
Finnex Ray2 DD 24
Rootmedic Macro/Micro/Root Tabs
API Test Kit
Power Sand S
Alternanthera reineckii Ocipus
Limnophila sp Guinea fine leaf
Bacopa sp Salzmannii
Hygrophila sp Bold
Staurogyne sp Purple
Staurogyne sp Porto Velho
Hygrophila difformis Variegated
Hydrocotyle verticillata Japan
Cryptocoryne wendtii Brown
Cryptocoryne wendtii Green Gecko
Some other plants that hitch hiked
6 x Otocinclus
6 x Cardinal Tetras (From PetSmart $1 sale!)
9 x Celestial Pearl Danios
3 x Chocolate Gouramis
4 x Candy Cane Tetras (had 5, one jumped
7 x Amano Shrimp
2 x Blue Rili Shrimp
8 x Red Rili Shrimp
3 x Red Cherry Shrimp (started with 4, one died day after
Lights on 11-7pm (reduced from 9-6pm)
Ferts and feeding every other day
Minimal water changes
Grapewood before it was cut:
Wood tied and strapped into egg crate:
May 29, 2012 - Planted and filled:
Sand added and tank has been cleared up:
Back of tank:
July 2, 2012 - Told you it was a jungle!
July 6, 2012 - Massive trim:
July 20, 2012:
August 3, 2012:
Thanks for viewing, any thoughts/advice appreciated!