75G Amazon and 29G Community (10G QT) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

75G Amazon and 29G Community (10G QT)

Okay so I figured I would start a new journal as I am starting a new tank. I am moving back home to Rockville, MD into the basement of my mothers house...yay! Actually, as soon as I get a job I will be out the door running to get my own place.

Right now I have not yet moved so I have the 75 empty and Neons, Rasboras and the a Bolivian in the 29.

Here is what I am planning and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free.

29 Gallon Freshwater Planted Community
  • 14-16 Harlequin Rasboras. (8 Current)
  • 8-10 Kuhli Loachs
  • 1 Male Dwarf Gourami (1 Current)
  • 1 Male Bristlenose Pleco (1 Current)

75 Gallon Amazon Planted Tank
  • 40-50 Neon Tetras (12 Current)
  • 20-25 Bronze Cory (4 Current)
  • 5-8 Bolivian Rams (2 Current Males in difff tanks)
  • 1 Male Albino Bristlenose Pleco (1 Current)

I was thinking about this large school of Neons or maybe two schools of 25 but I don't know what other fish. Cardinals?

I could also think about doing two schools of cories.

Here is what the 29 currently looks like. I'm planning on removing the gravel and making is maybe flourite with sand or soil and sand. I need advice and thoughts on this. I will be moving Thursday and setting them up then. Not much time :/

The main idea is to get this tank to have mainly rocks and plants, I am going to need some wood for the bristlenose and hiding spots but I mainly want a mountain side. I can put a cave in the middle.

This picture of the 75 is just me putting the rocks in. I'm moving the big two rocks into the 29 to create that mountain side. I am leaning more towards a heavily planted tank with more wood in it. I think I will need smaller rocks and bigger pieces of wood. I have enough plants though.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato
Capital Cichlid Association (CCA) Member
GWAPA Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Algae Grower

Hey man, nice 75!

You should dirt your 29 when you re-do the gravel. I like flourite, or anything black to bring out the mountain/contrast with the sand. Totally worth it in the long run imo, I wish I had dirted my 55. (Make sure you screen it to remove the wood bits)

I'm excited to see what you end up doing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks good! i like the scape.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Planted Member

Looks pretty mysterious
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe I missed it but is the floating plant riccia?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

Hey wassup Termato, nice tank, Where'd you get your plants? Congressional Pets?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichard View Post
Hey man, nice 75!

You should dirt your 29 when you re-do the gravel. I like flourite, or anything black to bring out the mountain/contrast with the sand. Totally worth it in the long run imo, I wish I had dirted my 55. (Make sure you screen it to remove the wood bits)

I'm excited to see what you end up doing!
I was totally planning on doing it but when i got in from the 3 hours drive my fish were in bad shape and needed to go in something other than the buckets they were so. i kind of did a rush job on putting them in the 29.

I'm thinking I am going to finish off the 75 for now so that its DONE and then I can move everyone in the 29 into the 10G QT tank so I can re-do it with Flourite. I agree it is totally worth it!

I lost two rasboras during the move because the water got a little cold, my moms house is freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfishs View Post
looks good! i like the scape.
Thanks! I pretty much moved that scape from the 29 into the 75! It looks almost the same...but not really hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegli09 View Post
Looks pretty mysterious
The 29? I can see that! I feel like black always adds that little hint of mystery and just a feeling of darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Maybe I missed it but is the floating plant riccia?
Yea the floating plant is Riccia. i also have some Pennywort and Water wisteria up there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky View Post
Hey wassup Termato, nice tank, Where'd you get your plants? Congressional Pets?

Thanks Silky! I got the Wisteria, Cabomba and Ludwigia repens from PetSmart in salisbury, MD before I moved. I got the Riccia, Pennywort and almost all the rest of the plants I have either from here on the Classified section or from one of my friends on another fish forum website.

I am actually looking into getting a lot more plants because I feel my 75 is TOTALLY empty! hahaha.

Here is a link to a crappy video I took of the 75 yesterday. It's coming together well, but I still feel I need more plants. The cories were mating so it made me want to take a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ekTxFWzZGY

Here is a picture of the 3 tanks, the 29 looks really crappy cause I rushed it. The 10G QT is bare bottom with Riccia floating on it to help with any issues and dim the lights for them. I'll remove it if I have to treat with meds.

Also, I had just removed some plants from the 29 and replanted more stuff in there and then did a water change so the tank looks cloudy. It's cleared up now though.

Here is the 10 QT:

Here is the 29, any advice is MORE than welcome...I really don't like what it looks like right now.

Here is the 75 about 2-3 days after i set it up:

Here is the 75 yesterday after the water change. sorry for the white balance...still getting used to this camera:

I also posted a way more detail description on the move and my water on my online journal.

let me know what you all think!

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato
GWAPA Member
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Planted Member

I'll be following this 75. It's basically an up sized version of what I want my 40B to be, only with different corys

Looks excellent, keep it up!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
I'll be following this 75. It's basically an up sized version of what I want my 40B to be, only with different corys

Looks excellent, keep it up!
Thank you very much!

It's crazy that as soon as they got into the better quality water and the bigger tank the cories just started mating! Made me happy. I called the water company and I have 4-8dGH water which is perfect for them. It varies between seasons around here.

I'm thinking about more crypts and sword to fill in the planted areas. I need more light for this tank as well. I'm considering either 2 more CFLs or one T5. Not sure yet, depends on the $$.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato
GWAPA Member
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey Everyone I have some small updates on the tanks.

I just ordered some plants from Knuggs from TFK so hopefully by Saturday I will have some more plants for my fishies! (He has a good package with a RAOK, I've been searching on here for a week for what he had).

I also ordered the following Lighting system for the 75 Gallon tank:

Zoo Med AquaSun T-5 HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood
48" Length; Fits two 46" T-5 bulbs - 54 watts each

With two of these bulbs:

Zoo Med T-5 HO Ultra Sun Super Daylight Fluorescent Bulb
46" Length; 54 Watts; 6,500K

I am planning to move the two 23W bulbs to the 29 once this lighting come in. then I can sell my hood on the 29 and be set!

Things are coming together. The Ram in the 75 is SUPER pale. Watch the video to see. Any ideas on what to do about the Rams? Water is perfect so far.

Excuse the Brazilian Music hahahah Here is the video:
75 Gallon Update - Feeding - YouTube

I should have played some Frank Sinatra while I took that video haha.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato
GWAPA Member
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ordered these plants from Tropical Fish Keeping.com. I have to say I got a great deal! Thank you Knuggs! Beautiful plants (although some where hit by the travel, expected for the more rare and delicate plants, but they all still made it through great!).

All the floating Dwarf Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) on the bottom right looks amazing! That stuff is gonna grow like crazy once I get the new lights on.

I put all the floating plants in the 75 along with all the Crypt. I also put this other stem plant on the back right of the tank. I’m hoping the new lights will just do a great job at covering everything. That is kind of the reason why I got the floating plants, I am going from 46 Watts to 106 Watts. If I need more floating plants I have a whole 10 gallon tank full of Riccia.

This is where I put the stems on the back right of the tank:

I already had some plants back there but I put these touching the glass so they will make a nice back area plant when it grows in. I’m really banking on the new lights being strong enough to cover the entire tank placing them here.

I put the crypts all around where my other crypts where, now all my fish are chilling out there because there is so much cover. They really like it!

You can see the three original Crypts that are the bigger ones. This little area once it grows in should be insane. I really can’t wait for this spot to grow in. These crypts get really nice and big so I am just dying for that to happen.

On the right front I cut a piece of my sword off so I could replant it. It has two leaves on it so I will have to see how it does. I think that having four swords will cover move ground and give my fish lower cover. The cories really enjoy the huge leaves of the swords. It’s almost like a house for them.

As you can see there is not much change to the tank. Only a few more plants on the left and new floaters on the right. I don’t think I will be getting the huge swords because I am quite happy with what Knuggs sent me. I think once everything grows in I will be very happy with everything.

As for the 29 gallon fish tank man this thing is finally coming together a bit. I honestly can’t wait till the lights get here because I’m having to use this desk light in order for my plants to get some good growth. The 46W set up will be moved to this tank once I get the new lighting system. Then I can see some serious growth! My plan is to do a trimming every month so I can sell some plants. The energy costs I know will be more than I want to pay so I need to make SOME money back.

I got some amazing looking ludwigia from Knuggs, although they tops were starting to melt off a bit I think once they settle in they will be great. I honestly can’t tell if this is a repens strain or if it is some seriously RED ludwigia. I know the ones I have behind it get red but this stuff is like a Ferrari.

You can also see the Dwarf Hair Grass he sent me. I got a good amount this time and I put root tabs in under them right away. If that stuff really starts taking off I am going to be SO HAPPY. This is the ONE plant I just want to grow and take over. It stays short, its thin, it’s just great…except the fact that it is hard to grow. PAIN IN MY LIFE! Love it though.

I have no idea what plant this is (the purple stem on the picture below)…but I put it in the back for now so it can get the direct light under the good bulb. I am really thinking about moving stuff around later but i want these plants to grow in first. I was surprised to see Pennywort in there. It’s tall and long YES!

Here is a shot of the whole tank, which now has bad lighting and is a little dirty from me planting so excuse my…bad picture.

As you can see the tank itself looks WAY more filled in. I’m warming up to it and when the plants really start growing I know I will feel better. I hate to see the plants all bent down like that.

I usually post a video with this many pictures but I’m gonna wait just to tease everyone. I want to take a before and after pictures and videos of both tanks when i get the lights so I think that will be a good time to do it.

Oh and if my fish move my anubias ONE more time I’m gonna go crazy.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato
GWAPA Member

Last edited by Termato; 08-17-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: edited name of plant.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been 3 years and I've moved to a new place. This tank has transformed many times but this is what it looks like now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8gSivL2kG0

I have 8 angelfish in there at the moment with the cories and the bristlenose Eventually all the angels will be moved into my 150G that I got 2 years ago.

As you can see I'm dealing with some algae issues but the tank is on it's way to being beautiful again.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato
GWAPA Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode