First attempt at planted has gone so wrong - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First attempt at planted has gone so wrong

I started this tank a month or so ago. I am doing this on a really low budget. I think I have $70 invested in it so far. Co2, stand, Filter are DIY. Using PFS and kitty litter for substrate. Kitty litter has root tabs through ou it. Dosing with Flourish weekly. 1 BPS on Co2 that goes through an air stone in the sponge filter and is sucked up by the power head. Lighting I am using some T-12 fixtures with 6500K and 10,000K bulbs.

I am having an issue with Algea which may have been from an issue of using an air stone at night with a HOB folter for filtration which kept the surface constantly moving. I had the C02 behind a Korella so the impeller would break the bubbles up but that was also keeping the entire water colom moving. So much that I should have had a trout in there, he would have loved it.

After redoing everything and a 25% water change my water paramaters went from:

Temp: 78 F
PH 8.2
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
GH 30
KH 2

The water paramaters are now as follows:
Temp 80 F
PH 6.75
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
GH 36
KH 7 dH

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants so far are:
Java Moss, Amazon sword (Echinodorus Amazonicus) Hygrophila Corybosa Stricta, Anacharis.

Have 8 Neon Tetras, 4 green tetras, and 4 ghost shrimp, and some pond snails I am slowly getting rid of.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Too much light and not enough co2 are usually the problem with algae.
If you can't increase the co2, you must reduce the light by raising the fixtures or shortening the time they are on. Observe for two weeks while removing manually.

If this doesn't help, then you may try other stuff.
Don't try all things people say at once because that way you won't know what helped.

You do need some macros tho, no3 at least 5-10ppm and po4 1-3ppm.

Is there K on your dosing?

Water movement is good, air stone... Not so good. Imagine the tank as a glass of soda, you don't want it to get flat (loose co2) what would happen to a glass of soda if you throw an airstone in it?
You improve oxygenation by surface agitation without splashing nor bubbling in a planted tank that needs co2.

Wanna keep it simple? Go low light.

Good luck!

Last edited by pejerrey; 07-30-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Stuff
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The airstone is not an issue during the lights off hours, but no need to run the CO2 during that time. Oxygenation during lights off is a good thing. Make sure the air is off and the CO2 on at least 1 hour before lights on. During the light hours, the plants use the CO2, during off hours it actually reverses. Its the same concept as raising a lily pipe to the surface at night, oxygenates and also helps remove surface film

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode