First Planted 20 Gallon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First Planted 20 Gallon Tank

***UPDATED 07/31/2012***

Here are the most recent shots of the tank.

FTS

Side view

Newest addition to the tank, staurogyne repens... Not sure how well it'll do since I'm not running CO2.

Best killer in the tank!

What's that? Assassin snails don't breed... Yeah, not true! The female has managed to lay a couple dozen individual eggs all over the tank.

Figured it was about time to get a journal started for my new setup. I had a tank when I was younger, but never really took care of it... Young and dumb. I decided to get a small betta tank earlier this year just to get started back in the hobby again. I was content with my small 3 gallon cheapo tank with fake stuff until a buddy of mine gave me some free plants to replace the fake stuff. I haven't been the same since...

I decided I wanted a tank in the room that I spend the most time in, which is my home office. I was a bit limited on space so I decided to start with a modest 20 gallon tank. The tank has been setup for several weeks now and I've been lurking on TPTF long enough without starting the journal.

This was after receiving only the tank. I was still waiting for my tank stand to come in so my IKEA filing cabinet served as a resting place.

With the Finnex Ray 2 24" light.

Picked out some driftwood.

First FTS after getting the water, a few plants, and some Endlers ready for the cycle.

Details:
20 gallon tall tank
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter
Finnex Ray 2 24" LED light
Eco-Complete substrate

Endlers Livebearers

Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Anubias Nana
Hygro
Ludwigia
Crypt

More pictures and details to come...

Last edited by INADAZE; 08-01-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Updated with new pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

Looks like a good start, I like the driftwood! One piece of advice is that you may want to think about CO2 and ferts with that Finnex light, or figure out how to raise it up a bit. I have the same fixture over my 20 gallon and the PAR data suggests it's medium light. You may produce an algae farm with that light if you don't do something to keep it at bay. Just a thought!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Planted Member

It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the rhizome of your Anubias is buried in the substrate - that will ultimately cause it to rot and die. Leave the rhizome (the thick, green part that the leaves sprout out of) above the substrate, and just bury the roots.

Otherwise, it looks like you're off to a good start.

David

Rockslide Canyon - 65 gallon Fluval G6 Fluval Pimp Club #046
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple2101 View Post
Looks like a good start, I like the driftwood! One piece of advice is that you may want to think about CO2 and ferts with that Finnex light, or figure out how to raise it up a bit. I have the same fixture over my 20 gallon and the PAR data suggests it's medium light. You may produce an algae farm with that light if you don't do something to keep it at bay. Just a thought!
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been dosing with Excel and Flourish Comp, but just started Potassium, Iron, and Trace this week to see what happens. I picked up Phosphorus as well, but I don't think its needed right now and I'm certainly not going to start dosing with it only to feed algae. I was waiting on the tank to cycle before I did too much. I'm pretty sure the tank has completed its cycle since ammonia and nitrites are down to 0 ppm. Nitrates have been hovering between 5-10 ppm.

My plan is to add a lot more plants in the upcoming weeks. I'd like some height in the background and some sort of carpet on the right side. I like the endlers/guppies I have now, but will also be adding a school of corys and possibly some tetras or dwarf gouramis.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridges View Post
It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the rhizome of your Anubias is buried in the substrate - that will ultimately cause it to rot and die. Leave the rhizome (the thick, green part that the leaves sprout out of) above the substrate, and just bury the roots.

Otherwise, it looks like you're off to a good start.

David
It might just be the picture, but I definitely have the rhizome getting some light. I had to push it back in the other day because it was about to float out of the substrate. The anubias look great, but I can't for the life of me get them to stay put during cleaning/maintenance... Any tips? I have the same problem with two that I have in my 3 gallon betta tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good points Temple2101 and DBridges. I can't believe how bright the light bouncing everywhere.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good, cant wait to see it filled in, good choice on the wood.

Whats your thoughts on the light? I just ordered a smaller one for my 5gal. Looks like a very even spread from your pictures.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

best way to keep them down is to tie them down to wood or a rock
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT View Post
Whats your thoughts on the light? I just ordered a smaller one for my 5gal. Looks like a very even spread from your pictures.
Take my opinion for what it's worth since I'm still very new to the hobby and growing aquatic plants.

I was set on getting an LED light and I was leaning heavily towards the Marineland Double Bright, but decided against it after seeing one in person. It had too many dead spots and the blue LEDs can promote algae growth.

I've been completely happy with the purchase. I was a bit curious how well it would work in a planted tank with the 10k/7k LEDs, but for just under a $100 shipped, it was worth the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew View Post
best way to keep them down is to tie them down to wood or a rock
Thanks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Algae Grower

Hey thanks for checking out my tank.

Your tank has some great potential! Good luck growing in your plants and I hope it is more joy than anger for you, thats why we do it, right?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

Tie the Anubias to a rock. That way you can move it around too :] and it doesn't have to be a porous rock, because the roots won't want to go into the rock anywas
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated with some new pictures on the first page.

The tank is coming along great. I may have to rethink my fish situation though. I've got a couple different kinds of endler livebearers (beautiful fish) and some female guppies. I wanted to have a nice, peaceful, relaxing tank... Not so much with the endler males chasing the females all over the tank the entire time the lights are on! Additionally, the females were added two weeks ago and I just got my first batch of fry. If I get too many more, I may have to start feeding them to my betta. The endlers really are unique, amazing fish, but they're just a little too busy for me. Just something to think about. Hoping to pick up some gouramis and corys this weekend at the PVAS auction.

On the plant side, everything seems to be growing pretty well. There are some issues with my largest java fern, the older leaves browned and now have holes in them. I need to get in there and cut away the bad leaves. Recently added some staurogyne repens and some more ludwigia repens as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode