New ADA 60P, need some advice! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New ADA 60P, need some advice!

Hey guys nice to meet you all. My name is Ryan and I am new to the planted tank world. I recently picked up a ADA 60-p and am trying to do the aquascaping now with some Seiryu stones, and I was looking for some advice. Heres my current scape.

The rocks on the left are three large rocks I put like this :

Heres the scape with only the first two rocks

And finally heres the rocks I have left to work with

I am going to be planting mostly a HC carpet with maybe some dwarf hairgrass near the rocks and the back.

What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:43 PM
SCAPEr

Nice tank! Pasadena sound local to me, always welcome to join the scape club. It's a lot of fun, I learned a lot about plants and fauna.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx
Personally I think one more additional rock (the large one) on the right hand side would be appropriate, provided that you can slope the substrate high enough to compensate for its position. Try out multiple layouts before settling on one and make sure you absolutely love it. I recommend never moving hardscape after planting and introducing fish. It can freak them out and tends to change up their relationship to the territories they've defined once they've been in the aquarium for a sufficient amount of time. Just my $0.02 worth, but so far so good. I'm presuming that you're using CO2 with this set up? Check out my 60P back from 2007 in my signature to see the various ways in which I handled that size tank. It's a great starter tank and will give you a lot of experience that you can later apply to larger sizes. Indeed, managing smaller tanks demands a higher degree of attention because you're dealing with a lot smaller margin for error given the reduced quantity of water. Good luck!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys sorry I haven't updated this, but I decided on that rock scape I posted up there earlier and now two weeks later everything has been planted and is doing well. THe hemianthus seems to be growing well, though slowly(imo). I have seen it pearl many times especially after I do a water change. I have been having some trouble with high nitrites lately so i have been doing large water changes, hopefully the tank will cycle out soon. Without any further ado here are the pictures

Tank : ADA 60P
Lighting : Finnex RAY II
Substrate : Aquasoil Amazonia + Powder on top
Filter : Fluval 206 filter
Co2 : 5 lb cylinder + GLA Nature regulator + ADA Pollen glass type 3
Plants : Hemianthus callitrichoides for the ground, some dwarf hairgrass near the rocks, and I have no idea what the other plants are called!
Fish : Dwarf gourami, 6 neon tetras, 3 guppies, 1 otocinclus, 1 balloon boesmani rainbow, 2 clown killifish, 1 pair of pseudomugil furcata (furcata rainbows, or forktail blue eyes) , 1 electric blue ram
Shrimp : 6 amano , 2 tiger, 9 red cherry

I have a few questions if anybody could help me out. Let me list them below

1. I am using seachem purigen currently in my filter, my question is where exactly I should be placing it level wise in my FLuval 206 filter and if I should even be using it at all? I have been looking at some of the different manufacturers for the filters and some recommend chemical on top while others recommend it to be in the middle. I am only using the foam filter, lots of bio balls and finally the purigen on top.

2. I need help identifying all the red plants in the background, some of them seem to be dying now / turning less red and I am not sure what I am missing.

3. FOr ferts I hear the Green leaf aquariums dry fert set is all I need? I bought 3 bottles of seachem iron potassium and... sodium or something, should I get the dry fert set as well?

That's pretty much it, thanks for reading and I hope you guys enjoy the tank, If you have any concerns or opinions please let me know what I can do, I am new to planted tanks so I have no idea what I am missing if anything!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh yeah if you can see in the second picture with the blue ram, my orange cpo dwarf crayfish decided to make his home under that rock!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to styxx
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

looking nice
be careful with overstocking
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Algae Grower

Your tank looks great! I am also setting up a 60p with a Fluval 206 Filter. How did you sort out the tubing size for the lily pipes and heater? I plan on using clear vinyl tubing, my guess is a reducer? Thanks !

ADA 60P Journal

"Natures
Form"

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phusis_Eidos View Post
Your tank looks great! I am also setting up a 60p with a Fluval 206 Filter. How did you sort out the tubing size for the lily pipes and heater? I plan on using clear vinyl tubing, my guess is a reducer? Thanks !
Hi physics sorry for the late reply I am currently in Taiwan checking out the shrimps so haven't had a chance to log on. The 206 filter will accept 5/8inch tubing perfectly so you won't need a reducer or anything. One thing you should make sure of before you buy the tubing though is that it won't bend and crease and block the water flow so play around with it before you purchase!
As for the heater I just have an in tank one now, this tank looks very different now haha and is now just housing shrimp. I have another thread you can check out in the shrimp forum with more recent pics!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Algae Grower

solid looking tank!

http://mixcrate.com/DEEJAYA1

^^^a collection of mix downloads inspired in part by my fish tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode